Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Anyone trying swim lessons for lo?

Hi All!!

My lo is 7 months and today I enrolled him in "Aqua Babies" - swim lessons for him and me to do this summer once a week at our local indoor pool.  Anyone else trying this for their lo?  How did it go?? The class is for babies aged 6 months to 1.5 years.  I hope my lo isn't too young to like it!  Any insight would be super appreciated! :)

Re: Anyone trying swim lessons for lo?

• Options

We do. DS has 2 weeks left of his 8 week class.

He loves it and I used to teach swimming/lifeguard, so it's important to me to get him in the water. Our mom & tots are from 4m to 3y; I think that's too much of an age difference but whatever. I would prefer a 6m-1.5y group like yours.

Don't be afraid to get his face wet and to put his ears in the water. Also, if he's comfortable in the water, don't be afraid to dunk him after a few lessons. Also, when you're doing front floats and anything on their belly, just be sure that his face is not in the water. It sounds dumb to say it, but I see a lot of parents who don't realize their LO has their mouth in the water and is drinking it.

Logistically, it's easier to have someone there with you to help out in the changeroom after the lesson. It's so much easier to have DH there; he takes DS once the lesson is over to get him changed and I get changed alone.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

TeacherVicky - thanks so much for your reply and great advice!  I, too, believe it is important for kids to become comfortable in the water and learn how to swim at an early age.  I was wondering how the whole changing clothes process after the lessons would go....I don't really like locker rooms (kind of a germ-a-phobe) myself, and the thought of trying to change lo in there is stressful to me! :)  But, DH has to work when the lessons are....so I am going to have to try and manage on my own.  I will try some of the things you recommended (getting face wet, etc).  Thanks!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageblessednewmom1:

TeacherVicky - thanks so much for your reply and great advice!  I, too, believe it is important for kids to become comfortable in the water and learn how to swim at an early age.  I was wondering how the whole changing clothes process after the lessons would go....I don't really like locker rooms (kind of a germ-a-phobe) myself, and the thought of trying to change lo in there is stressful to me! :)  But, DH has to work when the lessons are....so I am going to have to try and manage on my own.  I will try some of the things you recommended (getting face wet, etc).  Thanks!!

There should definitely be a change table in the change room, which you'll have to use when changing yourself before & after. It can obviously be done, it's just easier with an extra person. Some change rooms are also equipped with a few private change rooms that have a bench, that is also an option that can make it easier. GL!

• Options
    imageblessednewmom1:

Bump burp.

• Options
    mamaZbomamaZbo member

We did it right at 6.5 months. She liked it most of the time, but the lessons happened to be around nap time, so sometimes she was a little cranky. Our lessons were for the same age range, so some of the activities were a little too advanced, but she likes being in the water with mommy, and I liked the bonding time. I think we will sign up again in the fall when she is a little older.

For the changing room... I brought in our umbrella stroller, so after LO was changed I had somewhere to put her so that I could get dressed without trying to balance her ona bench. It worked great.

• Options
    I enrolled my LO. I also took her on my own a few times too. On another note, have you watched any of the IRS (?) videos ? I'm not sure of the principal in their teaching but I'm going to figure out how to teach my LO to roll onto her back for air if she falls into a pool.
  • Options
    Netty_3Netty_3 member
    I am actually looking into it.  I really want him to enjoy the water.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    I take my 6 month old to swimmimg. He loves it. It is a great way to get LO aquainted with water.
  • Options
    I'm thinking of trying it towards the end of the summer!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm starting a "gym and swim" class at the YMCA in a couple weeks! I'm really excited about it. The first half is a baby gym class-- I think it's like a gymboree class, with parachutes and circle time and all-- and the second half is in the pool! I believe the age range is 3-12 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"