Baby Names
Options

Girl Name Help Please

Ok so we found out we are having a GIRL. DH are horrible at agreeing on names. When we had DS we never did agree on a girls name so it was good that he was a boy. His is the only name we ever agreed on: Cameron Oliver.

So now we're stuck on a girls name. DH really likes Caroline with a nn of Carly. It's not my favorite name, but I don't hate it. The only thing is it's the only name DH will ever bring up. He's also mentioned Alyssa, but I don't really like it as my name is Melissa and I think it sounds too close. 

Here's the thing. I really don't want my child to have a top 100 name. I hated when I had 3 Melissa's in my class growing up. I've always gone by Missy though so it wasn't that bad, but I just prefer something a little more unique. Not strange though. DH wants traditional. He's more of a top 100 kind of guy.

My favs right now are: Elaina, Lilah, Amelia 

DH only likes Caroline (Carly)

I really want to be able to give my child a nn. I know some people hate that, but in our family everyone has a nn. The mn is up in the air. DH really wants to honor his grandmothers as DS has my grandfathers name as his middle name. Problem: his grandma's have horrible names. Verna and Ida. I think Ida's middle name is Antoinette so I might be able to convince DH to use that for a mn. Any other suggestions?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Girl Name Help Please

• Options

My first thought when you said Verna and Ida was that maybe you could put them together and make Vera? Antoinette is also a pretty MN option. 

Out of your choices, I really like Amelia and Lilah. Some other names you might like (with nickname options)...Gabrielle, Juliana, Liliana, Eloise, Elise, Evelyn, Malia. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    He pretty much knows he's not getting Caroline. He's fine with that as he knows I don't like it much. He just can't come up with anything else.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think all your choices are nice and I'd actually love Caroline (or Carolina) but with the nn Lena. I wouldn't focus so much on the top 100 thing if there are names there that you love. With so many names that as long as you stay out of the top 25 or so, your kid probably won't be one of 5 in her class. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I like Caroline, but I do not like Carly as a nickname for it.  I think Amelia is quite lovely!

Some more suggestions just in case you had not thought of them (in an effort to help you and your H agree upon something)

Abigale

Bethany

Constance

Delilah

Evangeline

Fiona

Josephine

Olivia

Patricia

Sophia

Vivian

Veronica

Violet or Viola (Italian for Violet)

Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I would ask what is it about Caroline that he likes.  The length?  The flow? The line at the end?  Then see if there is a middle ground you guys could meet at.  Some names that I love and are similar are-

Evangeline

Claire

Coralyn

Arline

• Options

Interesting.  Amelia is actually more popular than Caroline according to the SSN rankings.  Another thing to consider is that even the top 100 names are used less frequently percentage-wise than they were when we were young.

For instance, in 1980 the top girl's name (Jennifer) was used on 3.3% of all females born.  Fast forward to 2011, the top girl's name (Sophia) was used on 1.1% of all females born.

Suggestions - Magdalena (Maggie, Lena), Charlotte (Lottie, Char, Charley), Emmeline (Em, Emmy), Alexandra (Ally, Alex, Lexi, Sasha, Xandra), Annalise (Anna, Ann, Annie, Elise, Lissy), Josephine (Jo, Josie, Joey, Effie, Fina, JoJo), Genevieve (Evie, Vi, Ginny, Eve, Gen, Gennie), Katherine (Katie, Kate, Kit, Kathy, Kitty, Kay), Jocelyn (Joss, Lyn), Anastasia (Ana, Annie, Ann, Sasha, Stacey), Marlena (Marley, Lena, Mena, Marlo)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"