Toddlers: 24 Months+

2 yo hitting 6 mo.

DS #1 (2 years, 1 month) used to be sooo good with his little sister (now 6 mos) but he's suddenly taken a turn and is hitting/kicking her (and sometimes screaming in her face) every chance he gets. I can tell it's just b/c he wants my undivided attention but clearly that's not an option. Timeouts don't seem to be working and I don't "believe" in spanking. Any advice? Is this just a "phase?" Is it "normal?" It's breaking my heart - he used to be such a sweet boy. While he talks and expresses himself very well,my only instinct is that he's dealing with emotions he doesn't know how to express.

Re: 2 yo hitting 6 mo.

• Did you 6 month old become mobile recently? When the second becomes mobile the oldest often realizes that they are a threat for mommy's attention so that could be why it suddenly started.

My kiddos are about the same age difference and we went through the same thing. A 2 year old doesn't really understand time outs, but if used right they can be used to help "cool off".

What we did was if our oldest hit the baby, we immediately lavished attention on the baby and ignored our oldest. We made a big fuss of him being hurt. After that we simply said "No hit. Hitting hurts baby."It did help quite a bit.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"