Babies: 3 - 6 Months

LO has a slight peanut sensitivity :(

DS is 4 months and we recently had a RAST blood test done because he had gotten some hives a few times on his back and chest after feedings.  He is EBF and I have been avoiding dairy and soy since I thought he was sensitive to those as he had mucous and flecks of blood in his diapers.  Anyway, the pedi said he has a slight sensitivity to peanuts but everything else was negative.  He told me to avoid eating peanuts for now and we'll wait and see what happens.  I am really praying he outgrows this.  I guess we'll retest in a few months.  I don't know if anyone else is dealing with infant allergies while BFing, but it is really hard to pore over everything you eat because you don't want to hurt your baby.  :(  I am having trouble eating enough as it is, just part of having a 4 m/o and a toddler (and working from home).  Vent over.  Thanks for listening and I'm happy to read about your own experiences with allergies...

Re: LO has a slight peanut sensitivity :(

• shotzieshotzie member
    My DD2 is MSPI. She had green, mucousy poop that sometimes had specks of blood in it. Her poop went back to normal 4-5 weeks after I cut dairy and soy from my diet. DD1 has food allergies too, but was never affected by my breastmilk. She gets hives where dairy products touch her skin. She is also allergic to soy and eggs. She can tolerate those items in baked/processed foods though. We did a RAST test and skin pr!ck test on her at age 1 and repeated the RAST at age two and her numbers have gone way down. So it looks like she will outgrow her allergies. Just FYI, the younger a child is when tested for allergies, the less accurate the results are. It's possible the test gave some false negatives or false positives. At some point, I'd see a Pediatric Allergist about your LO instead of just his pedi. I would definitely continue to avoid peanuts as peanut allergies tend to become very severe. Your LO can still be MSPI even though the RAST was negative for dairy and soy. Anyway, the Food Allergy board is a great resource. I also post a check-in on the Breastfeeding board on Mondays for MSPI moms. We talk about food/recipes a lot. :) If you go to the FA board, you can scroll down to where I posted the link to our last check-in. The check-in has an archive of our previous posts too. Allergies suck, it's nerve wracking worrying if you're consuming something that can hurt your LO. I also have a hard time eating enough on the MSPI diet b/c it's hard to find time to cook everything myself. But at least I can control my diet and make sure my milk is safe for DD2. Whereas, even the hypoallergenic formulas don't always work. Good luck to you. Let me know if you have any other questions!
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • I'm sorry. I.know how tough it is. DS was just diagnosed with a milk protein allergy after he started having green, mucousy stools and screaming during feedings. It was awful. His stool was positive for blood. I EP and was told to eliminate all dairy from my diet. After a week and a half, there's a vast improvement. DS is eating better, his stools are back to normal and his most recent stool was negative for blood. I am hoping that since there was a drastic improvement in such a short time, that DS has a mild case and will outgrow this quickly. If it is any consolation, I am eating healthier (minus the Oreos; they're dairy- free). I may lose some weight with all of this. But I do miss my milk and cheese.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the empathy, ladies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"