Natural Birth

7-Bullet-Point Birth Plan- Suggestions?

I know we just had one of these birth plan critiques the other day and I've gone through it and the suggestions that were offered.  The main theme I picked up on was "shorter is better."

Here's my attempt for my birth plan.  I've already discussed all of this with my OBs (both the NB-friendly and NB-unfriendly one):

?         -I would prefer a hep-lock instead of a continuous IV (unless medically necessary).

?         -Please only offer pain medications if I ask for them.

?         -I prefer intermittent monitoring to allow for as much mobility as possible. 

?         -Please ask for my consent before administering any interventions (induction medication, pain medication, vacuum, etc.) unless medical emergency.    

?         -I prefer to have no episiotomy and risk tearing (unless baby is in distress).

?         -I would like to have routine newborn procedures delayed until bonding and breastfeeding have occurred.

?         -My baby is to be exclusively breastfed. 

Suggestions, oh wise ones?  : )

BabyFruit Ticker
image imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 7-Bullet-Point Birth Plan- Suggestions?

• Ask your doctor about food and drink during labour. It doesn't need to be in the plan, but you want to know what the policy is.

Mother-directed pushing was another point that was really important to me. The idea of someone telling me how to push sounded terrible (and indeed, if someone had tried to do so during labour I would have wanted them to shut up).

• imagetokenhoser:

Ask your doctor about food and drink during labour. It doesn't need to be in the plan, but you want to know what the policy is.

Mother-directed pushing was another point that was really important to me. The idea of someone telling me how to push sounded terrible (and indeed, if someone had tried to do so during labour I would have wanted them to shut up).

Good points.  I asked the NB-friendly OB about food/drink and he said they pretty much looked the other way about light snacks/water even though the official hospital policy is just hard candy and ice.  I haven't even asked the other OB because I'm planning to have water and a snack if I want it either way.  

I hadn't put anything about mother-directed pushing because I just don't know how strongly I feel about that right now.  I guess I figure I can just tell the nurse or doctor to shut up at that point if I want.  : ) 

BabyFruit Ticker
    image imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Really, Really good!  Nice and concise should be easy to commit to memory and follow.  

Have you considered doing a separate page just in the rare case a c-section is needed?  I plan to do that this time around...

• I thought of one more thing, have you considered whether you want them to limit cervical checks and whether you want to be told how dilated you are?
  • I think it's great, and am C&P it for myself ;) 
    Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • Sounds like what I'm striving for as well. I'll probably add something regarding a c-section and no visitors for a couple of hours after birth. Good job! And thanks for posting it :)
  • Your plan looks almost identical to my preferences!

The only thing I *might* add would be to delay cord cutting (if that is something you would like). But yes, I am thinking a short and sweet list will work best.

• rak123rak123 member
    What about who is allowed in the room for labor and delivery? 

Baby BOY is due May 23, 2014!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Thanks for the input, ladies!

Addressing your suggestions: 

I know less cervical checks is better, but I just cannot, cannot help my curiosity- even though I know already it can be discouraging.  (They asked if I wanted a check at my appt last week and I said yes and it really, really hurt and I had made no progress from the prior week so I was kind of frustrated, but I go back today and if they ask again, I know I'll say yes.  : p   I just can't stand not knowing.)  So I'm not including anything about that.

I thought about the c-section part, but I don't know what I would put that wouldn't be standard.  That's a good idea though and I might look more into that.  

Luckily delayed cord clamping and initial bonding/breastfeeding time are standard at my hospital and my prudish husband is terrified of anyone seeing my breasts so that should keep visitors out for a while.  We've already told family that although we love them, they will not be in the room at all until after that, so I think we're covered.  I'm not really concerned about other hospital people- like interns, extra nurses, etc.    

BabyFruit Ticker
    image imageimage
  • BLuvsEBLuvsE member

If you wanted to shorten it to fewer bullets -

- Please take measures to allow me freedom of movement (hep-lock, intermittent monitoring, etc.)

- Please ask my permission before any interventions (induction medication, vacuum, episiotomy, etc) and do not offer pain meds.

- Please allow my husband and I bond with our new baby after delivery (delay routine procedures, breastfeeding only, etc)

There is a blog called Navelgazing Midwives and she gives an excellent birth plan and recommends using fewer bullets with more 'requests' per bullet. It doesn't look as threatening.

If your hospital allows rooming in, you can leave out the part about exclusive breastfeeding.

In regards to the c-section part - you could put it on a separate page and only give it to them if the need arises.

11/27/12
    First Child born

5/5/14 and 6/5/14
    Twins born into Heaven 
    BFP - 4/6/14, due date 12/8/14. First twin M/C at home - 5/5/14, Second twin D&C - 6/5/14

11/14
    Chemical Pregnancy

9/5/15
    Second after severe bleeding for 18 weeks due to subchorionic hematoma

Currently
    Expecting Number 3 due 10/31/2020
  • I prefer to have no episiotomy and risk tearing (unless baby is in distress).

I would rephrase to say what you do want as the first thing. For example,

I prefer to tear naturally rather than have an episiotomy.

You covered the distress issue in the line above, so I wouldn't even put it in that line, though I might switch their places in the list.

How do you feel about Pitocin after delivery? You may want to include that in yuor interventions examples.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"