Breastfeeding

Fenugreek question

Hi ladies. I have EBF DS and I haven't had any issues with supply until recently. DS and I were both sick for the last 2 weeks and my supply seems to be dropping when pumping during the day while DS is at daycare. I drink lots of water. I was thinking about taking fenugreek to help boost my supply but the bottle at Walgreens specifically said do not use if pregnant or nursing. They only had one brand so I couldn't compare to others. Do all fenugreek bottles say this because they are herbal supplements not regulated by the FDA or what?

IVF #1: 4-11-11= Transferred 1 beautiful blastocyst I named "Nugget"
5 Snowbabies! Beta#1 4/21= BFP! 226; Beta#2 4/25= 944
DS born 12/14/11

Baby #2 FET Nov/Dec 2013

12/13 Beta#1=BFP 349; 12/16 Beta#2=1,089. First ultrasound 12/26. DS#2 born 8/8/14
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
~~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~~

Re: Fenugreek question

• Hi! I don't remember reading that on my bottle. I am pumping right now but when I get done I will go check my bottle and get back with you. I bought mine at Whole Foods, I think. You might also want to consider using Blessed Thistle with your Fenugreek. That is what my LC advised when I went through a lull. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • lckcdc3lckcdc3 member

imagebrandywine2010:
    Hi! I don't remember reading that on my bottle. I am pumping right now but when I get done I will go check my bottle and get back with you. I bought mine at Whole Foods, I think. You might also want to consider using Blessed Thistle with your Fenugreek. That is what my LC advised when I went through a lull. 

Hi Hun :o).  Yeah I read about the blessed thistle as well. Unfortunately Walgreens didnt have that so I was going to check somewhere else tomorrow. Yah when you get the chance let me know what your bottle says.  I found it really odd that is specifically said not to use while nursing.

IVF #1: 4-11-11= Transferred 1 beautiful blastocyst I named "Nugget"
    5 Snowbabies! Beta#1 4/21= BFP! 226; Beta#2 4/25= 944
    DS born 12/14/11

Baby #2 FET Nov/Dec 2013

12/13 Beta#1=BFP 349; 12/16 Beta#2=1,089. First ultrasound 12/26. DS#2 born 8/8/14
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~~

• Loading the player...
  • Yes, all fenugreek says this.  It's only b/c the FDA hasn't officially approved it, so it can't say that it has, you know?  If you are uncomfortable taking it, then don't - but lots of moms have with no side effects.  There just aren't studies being done by the FDA on pregnant women (thank goodness) so the information isn't available.  
  • Okay I checked my bottle and it only says "not for use during pregnancy." It says nothing about BFing. The brand is Nature's Way. If I remember correctly there was organic Fenugreek and then the non-organic. I bought the non-organic b/c it cost less. My bottle is also fenugreek seed as opposed to fenugreek leaves. That may be a difference. If I were you, I would call a LLL leader or LC in your area just to double check. I am sure there's nothing to be overly concerned about, it's probably just a general warning since it's not FDA regulated. 

I would be interested to know what you find out. GL!

Also, are you eating oatmeal for a boost? 

ETA: Check out this link about Fenugreek. I am not sure if this is a reliable source, it seems to be. It says that Fenugreek is not recommended for pregnant women because it has been known to induce labor. Apparently it is "estrogen like." Again, not sure about the reliability of this source.

https://chefinyou.com/ingredients/what-is-fenugreek/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"