April 2012 Moms
Options

Awkward situation with next door neighbor

I will try to make this short but there is alot to it.  We've lived next to these folks for 7 yrs.  Love them to death and everyone else on our street.  We socialize alot together and we all help each other out.  The couple next door are in their mid 50's and have a teenage daughter.  They are very excited about our 3rd DS and she wants to watch him all the time.  Here comes the issue.....she has a psycho dog that bites and they seem to have no problem with it biting people.  It has bit me when I've visited their home.  It bit 12 yr. old DS when he went over to get something for me.  Drew blood and ripped his pants.  No apology whatsoever.  She doesn't leash it when they walk and it has bit other neighbors dogs in THEIR yards while they are leashed!  When we've been asked to watch the dog, my husband uses oven mits to handle her.  She is probably 20 lbs. and neurotic.  She doesn't like anyone but the owners.  We had a cookout in my driveway Monday for Memorial Day with 16-20 neighbors.  She brought the dog out.  It sat in her lap looking anxious, as it always does.  A 2 1/2 yr. old neighbor girl walked by her chair and the damn dog bit her!  It didn't break the skin but you could see teeth marks.  The owner said she didn't bite her.  I quickly said yes, she did.  She never got up and looked at the little girls arm, never apologized and didn't put the dog up!  Everyone was mad but no one said anything.  We've all talked about it since.  This lady treats this dog as a child and seriously thinks that that dog had as much right to be there as the child.  She is irrational and no one can talk to her about it.  This leads to my issue....I can't have her watch my child.  It is only a matter of WHEN that varmit bites my son, not if.  I dread the conversation.  But now, when she asks again, I am going to be forced to tell her that I can't have my son around her dog.  I hope it doesn't ruin our friendship but geez!  Isn't this crazy!!!???  I dread the heck out of it but it has to be done.  She's so nutty about the dog though, that I know it is going to create tension.  She told another neighbor that it wasn't her dogs fault Monday because the little girl scared the dog, coming around the side.  What??? Anyway, I just had to share my crazy azz story.  If that dog bit my son you'd be hearing about it on the news.  What she doesn't realize is she has set herself up for a lawsuit if she bites the wrong person. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Awkward situation with next door neighbor

• Options
    I'm sure she knows that her dog is a problem!  She is irresponsible! If she is going to keep that dog then it should never come in contact with people.  Don't feel bad, the dog needs training bad!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Have you documented all of these dog bite incidents? If not I'd suggest you start writing it all down. I really think you've got to get over "not saying anything" lest you disturb the peace with them. Your child's safety is at stake here.

You can do it gently - meaning you don't have to accuse the neighbor of being irresponsible (though she is). You can ackowledge how much she loves the dog and sees it as a family member; then follow with something like "and perhaps that's why you don't think of these incidents as problematic; yet they are. The [however many biting incidents there have been] are enough that if they were reported, the [Humane Society/City] would say that the dog needs to be put down. We really enjoy you as neighbors, but our child's safety comes first. We'd like to work with you to ensure there's never another such incident. However, we are prepared to report this if necessary. Yes, this is that serious."

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I got bit by a dog for a family I babysat for in college. It was the first time I had met them. Turned out they were a holes and the mom was pissed to come home early. I went to urgent care and the doctor had to file a report.. The dog was sentenced to home quarantine but the owners didn't follow through and the dog tried to bite a toddler and the toddler's parents reported it. The city came and took the dog to euthanize it and then the mom started leaving me messages saying I was responsible for killing the family pet. Some people just don't get it. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    My mom has an angry chihuahua that bites too...Shes totally in denial about it and doesnt understand why I wont let it around DS. She feels like its her misbehaved child or something and is always defending the thing!
    BabyName Ticker}
  • Options
    kkfeb04kkfeb04 member

What would you or the neighbors do if it were a bigger dog?  What if it was a "bully" breed? 

You would more than likely call animal control or the cops right?  Why is it any different with a small dog? 

We have a neighbor with a nasty Westie (nasty just like his owner damn SOB) that lets his dog do whatever he wants. A few years ago I cussed the damn old guy out. He and his nasty dog were walking across the street I took my 55 lbb dog to the back yard since I was planting out front and that dog never left my side let alone property.  Well Benji and I came out of our garage (doors open up to the backyard not the front driveway is long) and the flucker (can you tell I hate him) was in my back yard saying his dog wanted to "play" with Benji. I told the pissant that he gets the sidewalk and easement to walk his dog, not 60 feet from the sidewalk and since he is on my property I will "release" my dog on his and it wouldn't be my fault since he is an intruder on my property, he tried to tell me he was allowed there and again I reiterated he's not and I will call the cops.  This of course was after several months of the jackoff complaining that my dog attacks his because my dog was protecting me. During our walks past his house he lets his dog out which this is a nasty dog that bites and he tangled Benji and I up and the ahole just laughed, I have picked that dog up by the neck and threw him off my dog after he lunged at Benji. That is a dog DH and I kick away from the stroller, the kids, our current dog, us, etc.  Our current dog is another Britt, but I think the guy is actually scared of Joey who is smaller than Benji (a Brittany too just a very large one) but Joey is a barker and growls.  Joey has also killed bunnies so I wouldn't be upset if he attacked that dog.  Oh and the flucknut would also follow Benji and I on our walk and scream at me that I was crazy. The minute that dog lunges after the kids or myself, I will throw that dog in the middle of the 35 mph road, I would let Joey have at it if he is around. That's a dog that needs put down.  He has attacked the other neighborhood dogs.

Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
  • Options
    Thats a tough position to be in. We too have a very similar issue with a family on our block but this family doesn't supervise the dog and its constantly wondering the neighborhood and it happened to come in to our garage one day while DH was cleaning the cars and the dog came up behind him and luckily DH jumped up in time and swatted the dog away. I've left notes and attempted to speak to them when they are out and I know that a few of the other neighbors have called animal control but the dog is still out almost everyday. I feel bad for those that have small children that like to play outside. Is there a way that you could have an animal control officer speak to the owners? Bottom line, it will be a sucky conversation to have with her the next time she asks to watch LO but it might be worth it to not have to take a trip to the ER with him later because she was trying to play her little game of 'oh, it was the baby's fault because he was just laying there'
    Baby Hadley Grace - Born at 34 Weeks and 6 Days - Our little NICU miracle baby!
  • Options
    That lady is asking to get sued.

Don't let her watch your LO if you are not comfortable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"