Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding diet.......What do you eat?

Hi ladies, 
Can you share what you eat or not eat while breastfeeding? I am new to this as I was unable to breastfeed our DS. I have heard things such as dairy and nuts can be aggravating as well as broccoli and cauliflower. 

Please share what you take in...... 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Breastfeeding diet.......What do you eat?

• I eat everything I normally would until I see my lo has a problem with it. I do find I need to drink extra water and eat some extra protein or I feel dizzy while bfing.  My last lo only had problems with broccoli and fiber one cereal, this lo doesn't seem to mind broccoli. It's all trial and error for me. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • I have been eating what I want so far and no problems yet that I know of.  But then again, I have only been BF'ing about 4 weeks so we shall see.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • As long as your LO doesn't have dairy or soy issues, then to my knowledge, you can eat anything you want. I had an issue with oranges in the beginning when DD was a few weeks old. The citric acid gave her a diaper rash. I am now working oranges back into my diet and they don't seem to bother her. If you eat something and you see that it bothers your LO then cut it out for a while and try adding it back in later. 

Check out www.kellymom.com for some great resources on breastfeeding. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Everything I want.

And then a donut.

Breastfeeding is awesome.

• There is no special diet needed for breastfeeding. Sometimes babies have a sensitivity to certain foods, but there will be signs clueing you in.

After TTC with IR PCOS:
    April 2011: Metformin 1500mg + Clomid 100mg + Ovidrel + Prometrium = BFP!
    Beta #1 at 14DPO: 197 Beta #2 at 18DPO: 1296
    At 40w6d, our Team Green surprise came by unplanned C-section and changed our lives forever!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • amye84amye84 member
    imagetokenhoser:

Everything I want.

And then a donut.

Yes This.

I am going to have SUCH a hard time eating just for one again. But hopefully I don't have to worry about that for a long while!

Married 8.4.07
    BFP #1 4.15.11 Twin girls born 11/17/11
    BFP #2 10/16/13 m/c at 9w
    BFP #3 4/7/14 EDD 12/13/14

• imagetokenhoser:

Everything I want.

And then a donut.

I'm soooo jealous now!  My son was perfectly fine with whatever I was eating, but my daughter seems to have problems...  I can't eat dairy and soy, and I'm so worried she might be reacting to something else that now I'm scared to eat anything!   

m/c - Dec 2005, DS - March 27, 2007, m/c - Oct 2009, DD - Feb 20, 2012

Proud mother of two breech babies:)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • eav2ceav2c member
    Until you have a reason to change your diet (I.e LO not tolerating meals well) you can eat whatever you want... Just make sure you are eating enough to keep up your supply.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had to eliminate dairy.
    The IL's still side eye that I don't do dairy, because I never went to the doctor to have Abigail tested for allergies.

But when we brought her home from the hospital, and she began screaming for hours and finally finding relief after a few huge farts, I began to wonder if she might have a problem.
    Then there was the bloody diaper, and I've been dairy-free, and problem free, since!

I recently had to  eliminate gluten for myself, and Abigail's skin looks clearer than ever since then.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just eat like normal. There is nothing special you need to eat unless your LO is showing sensitivity to something.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I eat what I would normally eat unless I notice that it affects LO negatively.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I eat normally.

When DS was 6 weeks old, he started to exhibit signs of a dairy sensitivity, but even after completely cutting dairy out, he still seemed to have issues.  It turned out that I had an oversupply that caused many of the same symptoms.  Thankfully everything evened out and I was able to resume eating dairy :) 

• imagetokenhoser:

Everything I want.

And then a donut.

Yes This exactly.

• imagetokenhoser:

Everything I want.

And then a donut.

I eat like a lumberjack and was back to pp weight by 6 weeks. 

My LO went through a very fussy and gassy period. Combined with his acid reflux, I was convinced it must be something I was doing. I eliminated caffeine, dairy, and soy for a month. No change. I integrated all three of those back in to my diet last week, and saw no change again. LO is just gassy and fussy, but it's getting much better with age.

ETA: I forgot about the oversupply and letdown issues I had and still fight. That's part of the problem for us also...so be aware that gas/fussing can indicate much more than a diet issue.

• The only thing I watch is my caffeine intake. B/c I would live on coffee if I could!
    DD1 January, 2009
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagellizzyb:
    imagetokenhoser:

Everything I want.

And then a donut.

My LO went through a very fussy and gassy period. Combined with his acid reflux, I was convinced it must be something I was doing. I eliminated caffeine, dairy, and soy for a month. No change. I integrated all three of those back in to my diet last week, and saw no change again. LO is just gassy and fussy, but it's getting much better with age.

ETA: I forgot about the oversupply and letdown issues I had and still fight. That's part of the problem for us also...so be aware that gas/fussing can indicate much more than a diet issue.

I think this is common.

My baby was no  angel, but I saw  no evidence that his behaviour had anything to do with my food. I think far more women take crazy dietary measures than need to, and they generally stick with it for longer than they need to.

• imagetokenhoser:
    imagellizzyb:
    imagetokenhoser:

Everything I want.

And then a donut.

I think this is common.

My baby was no  angel, but I saw  no evidence that his behaviour had anything to do with my food. I think far more women take crazy dietary measures than need to, and they generally stick with it for longer than they need to.

I agree. EVERYONE asked me what I was eating to make DS so fussy and gassy Indifferent I know the research indicates that mom's diet actually doesn't impact baby much unless there is an intolerance or allergy, but it made me start to doubt myself. DS did have some green mucousy poop, and combined with the gas/fussing, it was suspicious enough for the pediatrician to suggest I do a month trial of no dairy, soy, or caffeine. However, I also struggle with the oversupply and foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, which is now what I believe led to the poop issues. 

Signed,

happy caffeinated mom who can eat edamame and ice cream again

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"