June 2011 Moms
Options

How much milk?

There is a post over on 9-12 where a bunch of people said to only give your baby 16oz of WCM at this point.  DD drinks 20-24oz of formula per day and we're now up to about half WCM and half formula and she still drinks the same amount- I don't see her slowing down anytime soon.  She also has been drinking the same amount whether it's in the bottle or the spout sippy. (I should add- she's a great eater too.  She eats three meals and a snack per day.  So the bottles aren't getting in the way of her appetite).

Is this too much?  How much does your LO drink in a day?

DSC_1342
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: How much milk?

• Options
    cvl105cvl105 member
    Callie is getting half formula half wcm bottles right now. She gets three 4 oz bottles and nurses before bed. We are probably at the lower end, but she just doesn't want to drink more.

ETA: she gets all sippies, no more bottles.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image"">imageimage
  • Options
    milescmilesc member

Sophie just had her 1 year Pedi visit yesterday... He said between 18-24oz of Milk.

DD drinks about 16oz tops in a day, and he was fine with it. 

Those who don't believe in love at first sight, have never given birth
    Big sister meeting little brother for the first time-
    <a href="http://s326.photobucket.com/albums/k409/YellowMiles/?action=view
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Avery was never a big BM/ formula drinker and it's the same with WCM (we used the 4 oz bottles until she was 8months old!) She drinks 3 4-6 oz sippys of milk a day. So that's like 12-18 ounces. Our Pedi never mentioned a specific amount, so I'm assuming shes ok.

ETA: I think if it's not getting in the way of your LO eating regular foods then it sounds fine!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The only reason I've run into to limit WCM is that the calcium can get in the way of iron absorption. So I think you're supposed to space when they drink cow's milk and their meals, in order for them to still get their iron. There may be other reasons, but I know that one because I became anemic by taking my iron and calcium supplements at the same time! 
  • Options

imageBirdies08:
    The only reason I've run into to limit WCM is that the calcium can get in the way of iron absorption. So I think you're supposed to space when they drink cow's milk and their meals, in order for them to still get their iron. There may be other reasons, but I know that one because I became anemic by taking my iron and calcium supplements at the same time! 

Hmm, this is what I'm worried about- you mean, don't give WCM at the same time as meals?  Right now she drinks water at meals and has milk on off times, but I was actually thinking of trying to move the milk to meals- maybe I'll ask my pedi about it next week at the 1-year appt.

DSC_1342
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    imagerainstar752:

imageBirdies08:

Hmm, this is what I'm worried about- you mean, don't give WCM at the same time as meals?  Right now she drinks water at meals and has milk on off times, but I was actually thinking of trying to move the milk to meals- maybe I'll ask my pedi about it next week at the 1-year appt.

Definitely ask your pedi, because I am not sure. All I know is that if you have milk with iron rich foods, you will probably not absorb the iron, so you have to watch for that with LO. Sounds like you're perfect for right now, though :) 

ETA: I don't think this is a concern with formula, since it has iron in it already. 

• Options
    Our pedi said to give her 12 oz of WCM a day because most of her calories should come from food now. She still probably drinks around 16 oz a day but she eats really well so we'll get to the 12 eventually. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My pedi said that once a child is weaned to WCM, they need 3 servings of dairy a day.  A serving is 8oz of milk, 6oz of yogurt, or 4oz of cheese.  

That being said, my child is drinking way over that- especially if you include cheese and yogurt.   

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• Options

James is off bottles and we went cold turkey to cow's milk. As per new AAP recs a few years ago, families with a history of high cholesterol - like ours- or obesity can give a one year old 1% or 2%; important fats can come from other sources. I never knew that re: milk. Anyway, James gets 1%.

My pedi likes to see a minimum of 15 oz/milk per day. James drinks @ 20-24oz. He's a stringbean though he eats really well (I hope it continues!); who knows if he'll lessen his milk intake in the future (I don't see it happening!).

A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"