Working Moms

Any school nurses out there?

I am a RN who left my job in the ER while on maternity leave as they offered a voluntary layoff. I've known I'd ideally change fields once I had a family as I don't want to work holidays and weekends etc. however I made great money nd 3 12's

I am interviewing for a school nurse job which I've always been interested in but I'm curious how the schedule and pay will work for my family. I want to be home as much as possible as he will only be 9 months old come September. He position is a 0.8 fte.

Summers and holidays off sound great but is it worth working 5 days a week and for less pay?

Share your experience. Tia   

TTC #1 since 6/08, MFI dx'd 3/09 Varicocelectomy 6/09, Hydrocelectomy 10/09 IVF with ICSI in Jan/Feb 2010 ER 2/7, ET 2/12 - transferred 2 blasts 5 snowbabies Beta #1 = 22 #2 = 19. Chemical Pregnancy :( FET May 2010 ET 5/30 - transferred 3 embies = BFN Fall/10 Went Gluten free + New RE and Clinic IUI #1 + Clomid 50 mg (1 follie) on 1/18 IUI #2 + Clomid 100 mg (1 follie) on 2/15 IUI# 3 + Femara 7.5 mg (1 follie) on 3/14 = BFP!!!! Beta #1 = 172 (15dpiui) Beta #2 =683!!! Ultrasound at 7 wks: 1 perfect beating heart. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Any school nurses out there?

• I'm pretty sure it's a certificated position, and the salary schedule should be listed somewhere public.

A .8 FTE is equivalent to working 4 days/week.  

(I'm a teacher...who was trained in WA, where I grew up, before moving to CA)

ETA: did you get salary info or a projected schedule you'd have to work?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a friend who was a school nurse.  It was a busier job than she expected.  She would sometimes see 40-50 kids a day to dispense medication, check sugars, give insulin, bandage scrapes, etc.   

As I recall, the biggest hurdle for her was paperwork.  Every encounter she had needed to be documented (of course).   She was also in charge of filing and being responsible for the kids emergency contact information. 

• Loading the player...
  • School nursing, particularly in public schools but also private, can be a lot of work depending on the student population & age group (older the kids, the more mental health stuff you'll be dealing with..., some schools will have more social type issues to deal with, etc)  and there are a lot of kids with major health issues mainstreamed into schools now so it depends on the makeup of the school. It can be really rewarding if you're doing it because you want to be in that setting & working with kids and focusing on population health and prevention in addition to the individual care, plus some teaching the classroom and don't forget the staff who also will be in there asking questions and whatnot :). Beginning of the year there is a lot of documentation stuff- immunizations & follow up on that, physicals if needed, collecting info on all the kids who have meds, chronic diseases that need monitoring, etc etc etc. So expect some admin type duties.  Many nurses love the autonomy but some do not like not having all the support people right at their fingertips like in the hospital, it really depends on your personality & what type of environment you like.

In my opinion, the hours & perks of school nursing when you have small kids at home are worth the potential difference in pay if you're able to afford it but that is just me.

Re the pay, you have to take the hours into consideration, so I wouldn't compare just hte annual salaries- break it down into how many actual hours or days are worked to compare. Then remember that like teachers, many school nurses take on summer work of some sort to supplement their pay so that is an option too and can be part time & still get the benefit of having summers off.

I'm not a school nurse fwiw but have worked a bit with them... I think it will be different for everyone but you should talk to some nurses in your district/area esp in the level of school you'll be at to make sure you have a clear picture of what the role entails. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"