Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Can someone explain the RNP??

Hello,

I am currently expecting DC#2. I have been doing research on neccessary items. I keep seeing everyone say that the rock n play is great! Can someone explain what it does? Is it just a rocker? Does this replace a swing? Is this something you would purchase if you also had a 22 month old when you had your new LO? 

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to learn about this from real people who have used it and not the generic store explanation.

Thanks Ladies!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can someone explain the RNP??

• It's like a bassinet but has a slight incline which for some babies, allows them to sleep more soundly early on. 

And while it does "rock" we never use it for rocking. We only use it for sleeping. But you could also use it for naps, to keep your baby occupied while you are busy/just a place to put them down.  

• Is this something you would purchase in place of a bassinet? Is it sturdy enough that a toddler couldn't pull it over?
  • Loading the player...
  • How to explain the RNP.... umm heaven.  It is the only thing that LO will sleep in, she also hangs out in it during the day.  We do use it to rock, the only thing I wish that it would do is rock on its own, but hey I'll take the arm workout.
  • imageMrsLuWho:
    Is this something you would purchase in place of a bassinet? Is it sturdy enough that a toddler couldn't pull it over?

With the way it is shaped it would be hard for a toddler to pull over, however I if they tried hard enough (like maybe hung on the side of it) they might be able to.

• niknak7niknak7 member

I use it as a bassinet and a place to put LO during the day. DS likes it because he can see what is going on because of the angle. Also both of my kids have had reflux so the angle is helpful.

However my 19 month old can pull it over as well has climbed into it with DS in it. So I never leave them unattended for any period of time.

If you want something safe for a toddler and newborn, I highly recommend using a Pack n Play. I even put the activity mat inside it to keep DS safe from DD.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We like our RnP, don't love it but my LO spits up a lot and it gives me peace of mind sleeping at night knowing he won't completely gag on his own spit up. He also naps in it and sits in it while I do things around the house. It's super easy to fold up. We're planning on bringing to visit family instead of our travel crib. Yes, I do think a toddler might be able to knock it over if at the right angle or side.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageMrsLuWho:
    Is this something you would purchase in place of a bassinet? Is it sturdy enough that a toddler couldn't pull it over?

I have a 2 year old and he isn't able to pull it over and he's big for his age (37 inches tall, 36 pounds)... he will also climb into it though, but not when she's ever been in it.

I, however, don't really use it that much. She doesn't sleep in it all that well (maybe if I padded it more) because she prefers to bedshare, which is what we do right now. I'm trying to get her used to it though--just not any success... and I also think I'm the minority in this situation.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • First, let me say that I have heard wonderful things about it.  It helps a newborn sleep more soundly and keeps them slightly inclined which helps with spit up and reflux.

That being said, we never got one because of the horror stories I have heard about parents trying to transition their baby from the RNP (sleeping inclined) to their crib (sleeping flat). Apparently, often times babies sleep great early on in the RNP but when they are moved to their crib they start waking up more often.  I didn't want to deal with that so we got him a regular bassinet for when he was a newborn.  at two months we transitioned him and had absolutely no problems.  He has been sleeping 9-10 hours a night.  I would only consider using it if your baby has some reflux issues.  If not, get them used to sleeping flat from day one.  You'll be happier later on. 

• We had it for DS and we're using it for DD now and it's truly one of our most used baby items. I'm appreciating it even more now that we have DD and she will spit up when she's sleeping, etc. It gives me a lot of peace of mind and it helps her get comfy.

As for transitioning from the RNP to the crib, our experience with that wasn't bad although I'm making a point to start at least having Claire sleep in her crib once or twice during the day when I can check in on her often. I think it was more an issue of our son not being used to sleeping in his own room/crib that made it tougher. He also went through some major teething during the 7-12 month range after he grew out of the RNP (he had all of his teeth except his second set of molars by 12 months). 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • As for being toddler proof -- it's not something that would get knocked over if the todder ran into the side of it, for example, because the base is splayed outwards. If the toddler was left to their own devices it could be tipped though.

However, I like that it keeps DD up higher. A bouncy seat is too close to the ground and would leave her vulnerable with her big brother running around, even with me there keeping an eye out. 

Whenever I can't keep a close eye on him, the RNP is light enough that I just pick her up and move her into the room where I am OR I put her in her crib or pack n play.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • We put the rock n play inside the pack n play so our dog did not knock it over.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"