September 2012 Moms

Baby Shower advice

We were planning on having my baby shower the last weekend of July which is the best available date for my aunt and best friend who are planning the shower.  Last night I had my husband call his mother to make sure that I've got everyone covered for the guest list which I need to give to my friend in the next couple of weeks, so she can start working on invitations!  At that time we found out that my MIL tentatively has plans to go out of town that weekend and won't know for sure for a couple of weeks and she said that the second week in August is probably the best for her. 

I'm not sure if I should reschedule to accommodate my MIL seeing as this is her first grand daughter and all or if I should go ahead with our original plans.  What would you do?

Re: Baby Shower advice

• Did she know the date of your shower? Seems odd that she'd make plans to go out of town if she did. It *is* her first grandchild, but she's not the one hosting. If I were her I'd cancel my travel plans and make sure I was at that shower.
    Met DH - Aug 2001 :: Married - Jan 2010 :: DD born - Sept 2012

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I would go ahead with my plans, it seems odd she has a trip planned for a date you were thinking about. 

Oh well honestly will it would be nice if she could come but it wont be the end of the world either.   She'll have lots of time to cuddle and see her first granddaughter when she arrives in Sept.

image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Don't change your plans. 'nuff said :)
    Need a good read? There's a new blogger in town... www.thepinningmama.com Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mom2skhmom2skh member
    If the weekend in July is best for your hostesses, you should stick with the original date.  They are throwing it for you, and if that date works best for them I would not ask to change it. MIL can then make the choice whether or not to change her plans to be there.  As pp states, she may feel bad missing the shower but she will enjoy baby and spoiling her after she's born too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageShazzie116:
    Did she know the date of your shower? Seems odd that she'd make plans to go out of town if she did. It *is* her first grandchild, but she's not the one hosting. If I were her I'd cancel my travel plans and make sure I was at that shower.

No, she didn't know the date of my baby shower until yesterday.  I'm sorry I didn't make it clear the first time but this isn't here first grandchild we already have a son whose 7, but this WILL be her first grand daughter and the only girl in the family for awhile! 

My husband doesn't think I should change anything since we've already got everything planned out!  However I don't want to make anyone feel left out or hurt anyones feelings.  My MIL has has a really hard time lately since her husband passed away about a month ago and I don't want her to feel excluded from anything!

• imageNicolejb781:

imageShazzie116:
    Did she know the date of your shower? Seems odd that she'd make plans to go out of town if she did. It *is* her first grandchild, but she's not the one hosting. If I were her I'd cancel my travel plans and make sure I was at that shower.

No, she didn't know the date of my baby shower until yesterday.  I'm sorry I didn't make it clear the first time but this isn't here first grandchild we already have a son whose 7, but this WILL be her first grand daughter and the only girl in the family for awhile! 

My husband doesn't think I should change anything since we've already got everything planned out!  However I don't want to make anyone feel left out or hurt anyones feelings.  My MIL has has a really hard time lately since her husband passed away about a month ago and I don't want her to feel excluded from anything!

I would talk to her about it if I were you.  If I were in her shoes, I wouldn't want you to change the date, but I would feel pretty bad if my DIL didn't make sure I was okay with it.  Everyone is different, though! Good luck:)

*E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I would think that she would change her plans if she could.  My MIL won't be here for my shower but she lives out of state and is saving her plane ticket to come help when baby arrives.  I think it's nice if you talk to her about it but ultimately I wouldn't change the plan. 
  • I fou out my mil might be out of town during my shower, an I told DH too bad for her. But to be fair we picked the date in like February so we could let everyone know since it is during the summer. He agreed that we shouldnt reschedule around her, and when we reminded her that she would miss the baby shower she is now changing her plans, and this is her 4th grandkid.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No you should not change it !  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"