Cloth Diapering
Options

Building a Stash

Hello Ladies. I was wondering how you all started building your stash?

Did you find one that you liked and just went for it and bought all you needed?

Did you choose a couple and buy a few of each to see what you liked?

Are there any type/brand that you absolutely hated?

I would love your input as I start to build my stash, thanks :)

Re: Building a Stash

• Options

I'm not even going to suggest this nicely - Do NOT buy all one thing and hope that it works for you, it's probably the worst idea you can have. It works for a small minority of people, but for the majority it would be a disaster.

I built up my stash slowly. If you're planning on cding from the start you need two stashes - one for the newborn stage, and one for when they're 13 lbs and up.

Good luck! 

• Options

Hahahaha, I just posted a second ago about how i've started to build up my stash and spent $300 and now I'm having a panic attack. But I agree with Pixy (and all the other research out there suggested) was to get different kinds to see what you like. I just bought the sampler package on  https://www.nickisdiapers.com/ and bought to try out a few different types and I'm stoked to get it in the mail!

This is the first time I've ever CD, and I'm hoping to use prefolds and covers for the newborn stage and start my pockets/AIO when the baby gets a bit bigger. But that could all go out the window...I mean who knows CD is so overwhelming when you don't even have a baby yet!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    GHBEAGHBEA member
    From personal experience I do not recommend one brand.  We learned the hard way when the brand we bought didn't fit our LO well.  So then we went on a trial and error stint.  Found a brand that worked with LOs built and stuck with it.
                                                 Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ditto PPs - buying one brand is a terrible idea. I tried to do that when I started and the ladies here talked me out of it. :) I wanted the 24 pack of Kawaiis because they were cheap -- turns out I don't like pockets or microfiber!

I bought about $250 worth of various prefolds, fitteds, covers and supplies at first. But the fit was wrong on some of the covers and fitteds and I learned I hate Bummis Whisper Wraps. :) It has taken about 3 smaller packages of fluffy mail for me to narrow it down to brands and types I like and to buy enough to wash every other day!

Buying the wrong type of diaper is intimidating at first but the places I buy from have excellent return/exchange policies. Besides, diapers retain good resale value so you don't take a huge hit. Have fun!!
  • Options
    Eek. Now I'm nervous! I was planning on buying all prefolds, but now I don't know... Maybe I will get a few AIO's or something to try as well...
    BabyFruit Ticker Search & Win
  • Options
    imagepixy_stix:

I'm not even going to suggest this nicely - Do NOT buy all one thing and hope that it works for you, it's probably the worst idea you can have. It works for a small minority of people, but for the majority it would be a disaster.

I built up my stash slowly. If you're planning on cding from the start you need two stashes - one for the newborn stage, and one for when they're 13 lbs and up.

Good luck! 

This! Plus it is waaaay more fun to try lots of different types and styles.

Soon to be Big Sister Eowyn - DOB February 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
     BabyFruit Ticker

My family is a Foreign Service family. Families like mine are posted in every corner of the globe. We live our lives away from family, friends and the conviences and comforts of home. We often live and work in dangerous places among those that misunderstand our intentions and purposes. Sometimes members of our ranks sacrifice our lives to further diplomacy.  Please remember that we serve too. And I'm always open to questions.

• Options
    We bought a little bit of everything and I am so happy that we did. What ended up being our favorites are not necessarily what I expected to like. Now that we have been using cloth for 6 months, we have a much better idea as to what works so I am not detashing what doesn't and stocking up on what does.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image image
  • Options
    I think I'm the opposite of most here.  I just chose a brand (fuzzi bunz) and stuck with it.  We have about 40 diapers total which is plenty...we full time CD our twins.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Which retailers are you buying from? I'm in the same boat as far as not knowing what to get! Any suggestions would be great, especially ones that include a return/exchange policy...
  • Options
    SaraTFSaraTF member

I decided that I would use prefolds for the first few weeks so I just bought those at first. I also bought a couple of other diapers (BG 4.0, fuzzibunz, and rumparooz) to try when DS got big enough. I tried them and decided I liked the BGs best, so when they came up on sale, I bought a bunch more. Until I had enough pockets and AIOs though, I still used my prefolds, so I had some time to explore.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"