December 2011 Moms
Options

Sleep update - later bedtime & better naps

Because I know you all care!  If you remember, E was a horrible napper, really only doing 2-4 short, 20 min naps throughout the day.  He would get soo crabby, we would put him to bed by 615-630 because he was miserable.  Starting about three-ish weeks ago, he would get up every 30-40 min from the time he first went down until 11pm, then he would sleep his longest stretch, sometimes only 4ish hours.  DH and I were exhausted from dealing with him (he slept better as a newborn!) and first the first time ever, things were not great between DH and I.  I think it was a combination of both of us being tired, I felt like I was doing everything, etc.  I had a mini breakdown last week and felt at a complete loss for how to get E to sleep better.   I think DH finally had a wake up call about how tired / stressed / etc I was, and he took care of E all Friday night (all 8+ wakeups) and I enjoyed some wine with a good friend.  I woke up Saturday refreshed (with mini wine hangover) and ready to figure out a real solution to our problem.

I followed the 2-3-4 rule starting Saturday, and it was like magic.  E had two naps, total daytime sleep of about 3hr 15 min.  And E he has consistently napped for 2 hr 45min to 3hr 15min since Saturday!  We also moved his bedtime back a little, and our new bedtime is 715-730ish and he each since Saturday has been a little better.  Last night was amazing!  He woke up only once at 11pm, I nursed, he went right back to sleep and slept until 6am this morning.  I know we're still not out of the woods yet, but it was nice to have some relief and feel like I am doing something right / know what I'm doing.

I just wanted to post because I know there are other mamas struggling with nap and nighttime sleep, so I hope this gives you hope.  I found a plan that I thought would work for us, modified to fit our schedule, stuck with it and had results.  I hope you get some relief soon!  I also wanted to be of an example of how moving a bedtime later can help - I was hesitant because I read early bedtime is good, but I think we're starting to find the right schedule / routine that works for E. 

laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Sleep update - later bedtime & better naps

• Options

i want to try to get on the 2-3-4 schedule!  waiting for my 3 day weekend next week :)

glad its been working for you! 

AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    What is the 2 - 3 - 4 schedule?
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Nap #1 is two hours after they wake up for the morning

Nap #2 is three hours after they wake up from nap #1

Bedtime is four hours after they wake up from nap #2

Goal is to have LO take 2 naps / day for about 90 min each.  Somedays E does 2 just fine, other days he does three one hr naps.  We try to follow this and keep an eye on his cues and put him to sleep earlier if he is showing signs.  So far it has really helped us, I think E was just overtired from lack of naps, and that is why his nighttime sleep went so horribly wrong!  We're trying to aim for 11 hrs of sleep at night, for a total of 14 hours of sleep.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

That's awesome, good job!  You said you stopped the swaddle three weeks ago right?  Do you think this had any affect of the horrible sleeping?

I stopped swaddling last week but caved at 4am this morning :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageatlast107:

That's awesome, good job!  You said you stopped the swaddle three weeks ago right?  Do you think this had any affect of the horrible sleeping?

I stopped swaddling last week but caved at 4am this morning :(

Yes, we stopped the swaddle around the same time. His sleep was already a little messed up when we stopped, and was actually worse the first three nights after the swaddle. So I don't think it caused it, but it certainly didn't help us any! 

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"