Natural Birth

Need your Opinions! =)

I will be 36 weeks tomorrow. Yesterday I went in for my weekly appointment and an ultrasound that had been scheduled for quite some time. My BP was REALLY high when I got there (150/95..its usually around 115/75) but my urine looked good.

We did my ultrasound and the tech couldn't see any fluid around the baby. I feel pretty confident that their low fluid conclusion was appropriate..the tech dug around and put me in all kinds of different positions looking around the baby for fluid, but couldn't find any pockets of fluid. 

So my Midwife had me do a NST and LO failed miserably. I was on the monitor for 45 minutes. LO was moving around quite a bit, but he wasn't getting the spikes in his heart rate. I was also having contractions every ten to fifteen minutes. So I ended up going to L&D to be monitored. My BP came back down to normal and they gave me a bag and a half of fluid. My Midwife wants me to come back in today for a follow up u/s and NST. She mentioned though that if my fluid is still low after the IVs, we're going to need to induce. 

I trust my midwife completely on this. If she feels the need to induce I'll go with it because I truly feels that she has mine and LO's best interest in mind. 

However, if she wants to go ahead and induce, I want to request that they give me until Monday or Tuesday. I'll offer to come in for an IV every day if they want. But I'd like for them to give me steroids to help LO's lungs and let me take them for a few days before we induce, and I'd like a few days to get MY things in order before we come back for an induction. 

Does this sound like a reasonable request? More than anything I'm concerned that LO isn't ready to come, and I want to give him more time to develop his lungs and be ready for the outside world..

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need your Opinions! =)

• Typically steroids aren't given for lung maturity if the baby is past 32 weeks, at least in my area. I can see asking for one more day to prepare (today) but wouldn't want to wait any longer. Sorry you are in this position, I sincerely hope you can still have a natural birth. Good luck and keep us updated!
  • imageJcrab:
    Typically steroids aren't given for lung maturity if the baby is past 32 weeks, at least in my area. I can see asking for one more day to prepare (today) but wouldn't want to wait any longer. Sorry you are in this position, I sincerely hope you can still have a natural birth. Good luck and keep us updated!

Thats good to know. I'm not sure what the policy on it in my practice is. Thank you! =) 

• Loading the player...
  • Aren't they also able to test amniotic fluid for lung maturity (assuming they can get any fluid for the testing, if you're really low), to give you a better idea of how LO's lungs are doing?

Good luck! Sounds like you are doing everything you can - asking questions and making the best decision you can based on the circumstances. That's all anyone can ask of a mother...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm so sorry you're in this situation, I hope today's appt goes better.  But if it doesn't, no, I wouldn't wait.  Reason being steroids aren't typically given this late and lack of fluid or low fluid will make it harder for the practice breathing and urine output to continue which is also important.  If I were in your position today I'd spend my time before my appointment assuming that I was going to be induced today and see what can't get done.  GL! 
  • Your need to get things in order do not trump the need to get babe out safely, IMO.

Steroids at 36w?  Not necessary (though I am no expert).

I'd get induced at my MW's suggestion. 

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • I had my son at 36 weeks (spontaneous rupture of membranes) and he did just fine. He never left my side, was never even seen by the NICU and weighed in at almost 7 lbs. He had no lung issues at all. He did have jaundice, a little trouble initiating breastfeeding and there were a few other delays later on, but nothing serious. Granted he came "on his own" and not via induction so that adds some concerns about him not being ready but I wanted to add my experience to help ease your mind a little that 36 week babies can do just fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a labor&delivery nurse.with everything I have seen, if it was me, with low fluid& a nonreactive net I would go for the induction.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"