Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Sleep Lady Shuffle for MOTN wakings

My DD goes down for the night really well, but she's waking up every 2-3 hours all night long. I could tell I built a dependency on nursing to fall back asleep, so I started nursing her early in her bedtime routine and putting her down drowsy but awake, and it worked beautifully. Now we're working on getting her to not need to eat each time she wakes up in the night.

I just finished night 3 of the Sleep Lady Shuffle, she's still waking up just as frequently as she used to, and I have a few questions for those who have done this:

1. My method of calming her when it's not yet time to eat is to use the pacifier - my husband feels better about this because we're teaching her she won't eat each time first, and then we'll take away the sleep crutch. I kind of feel like I'm just spinning my wheels, though. Has anyone else successfully gotten their child to sleep through by using a pacifier?

2.  We are trying to phase out night nursings by not letting her eat until it's been at least 6 hours since her last nurse, and then not until after 6am, per the book's instructions for babies her age. My question is - how is this not intermittent reinforcement? The last 3 nights, she's eaten at 2:30am, 4:40am, 2:30am. Last night, she woke again at 4:45 after her 2:30 nursing and since she had already eaten, I had to soothe her in other ways. Isn't that sending an inconsistent message? I feel like I'm missing something.

Thanks for your help! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sleep Lady Shuffle for MOTN wakings

• I wish I could be of more help but I am in the same situation as you. My son won't sleep more than an hour at night or during naps. The only way to get him back to sleep is to feed him. He only needs a few sips to fall back to sleep. I know this is so unrealistic and that he will never sleep through the night if he can't soothe himself back to sleep. I'm just not sure how to stop this. He won't take to a pacifier and crying it out does not work for him. The longest I've let him cry it out was 20 minutes and I just couldn't take it anymore. I personally feel like that is way too long at 4 months. 

Maybe someone else will have had better luck and can provide some help for us both! :) 

• I was able to use the pacing to help. We got lucky on her not waking from 5 weeks until 12 weeks. At 12 weeks, she began waking and for a few weeks I nursed thinking it was a growth spurt. I realized she was changing her schedule because I tried to soothe her and she would go down without food. After I reslized this, we did some sleep training. It was hard, but I think it helped her a lot. We also dropped the swaddle when we trained.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"