Breastfeeding
Options

6.5mo seemingly not interested in nursing - help (longish)

I know it's because he's completely distracted, but I'm not sure what to do about it.  We can rarely nurse during the day without him crying.  I take him into a quiet room, the same one each time, but he still fusses quite a bit and nurses on and off.  Usually, the only good nursings we have are those where he finally goes to sleep and nurses both sides in light sleep.

We are currently cosleeping, so I know he gets a lot of his breastmilk during the night, but DH would really like for him to stop cosleeping because he doesn't feel comfortable sleeping in the bed with us.  Plus, I have a hard time sleeping with DS in the bed, so I'm tired from that and working full-time.

His eating at daycare is a disaster.  He generally won't take his bottles, maybe about 2-4oz during the day.  I go to nurse him at lunch, and even though he's obviously hungry, he still fights eating.

Finally, his stools are very hard, and he cries passing them.  I've introduced a sippy with water/juice, but he's not that interested (fine with me).  I would just like to figure out how to make sure he's getting enough fluid - and I have no interest in weaning until he's ready, but absolutely not before a year.

Thank you for your help!

Mommy to Seth (4) and Catherine Anne (13 mo.) Excited to welcome a third child in March of 2013!

Re: 6.5mo seemingly not interested in nursing - help (longish)

• Options

DD went thru this too.  I also work FT so I would also nurse her to sleep from her evening nap.  Have you started solids?  That's what got her thru the day at daycare since she'd only take a few oz of EBM.

It's a passing phase...maybe you are about to get AF?? 

I think since your DC has reverse cycled that you will have a hard time getting him to eat during the day til you stop night feeding.  Kellymom.com has info on that. 

FWIW, I was worried she was weaning at that age and now at almost 1 year, she's nursing 7-8 times a day!!!  GL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"