June 2012 Moms
Options

Primrose Oil

So I talked to my doctor about my big baby (see below post) and they have not sent over the info that the computer produced but she is not concerned about out the baby?s weight as she thinks there is no way he is 8 pounds now given my size and weight gain.  She said ultrasounds are notoriously off for weight and that it is not a reason to schedule an induction or section.  One thing she was concerned about was his head, which was measuring over 40 weeks(anyone else having this experience).  She said if it is accurate and his head is larger than his body he is not coming out but that is no reason to schedule  a section.  That she recommends going into labor and seeing what happens.  If he never drops, or I can?t get him out after pushing for hours we will know our answer.  I asked her about evening primrose oil and she said she did not know enough about it to comment on if it works but that it won?t hurt but she did not think it would work.  Her hope is I have made some progress by Wed. so she can strip my membranes.  Anyone use the oil capsules and if so how did it work meaning dosage etc? I am debating on trying it. Did it have good results and how fast? I am 38 weeks and 3 days. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Primrose Oil

• Options
    I've been using it since 37/38 weeks and my Dr. has said my cervix is thinning more and more every appointment. I am due in 2 days and my baby still hasn't dropped low enough either. I am doing exercises on a labor ball (pelvic tilts, bouncing up and down, side to side, etc). I use 4 capsuls a day - 2 in the morning orally and 2 at night vaginally. DH and I have also used it as lube and it make DTD a lot better.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am using it this pregnancy and have in the past as well. At 37 weeks I started taking 2 capsules orally at night. At 38 weeks I took the capsules orally in the morning and introduced 2 capsules inserted vaginally at night (wear a panty liner to bed to prevent the oil from staining). 

It's one of those things that's really hard to gauge how much it 'works' or not, because there's no way to know how things would have gone if you hadn't done it, kwim? With my 2 previous LOs I was always at least 2 cms dilated by 40w, and by the time I was admitted to the hospital in labor was 6 cms (8 days overdue with DS and the evening before the EDD with DD).

It wont make you go into labor, but it may help soften and ready the cervix for dilation.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks I think I am going to try it.  Right now I have no progress so what can it hurt.  Are all caps. the same milligrams?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    They come in different amount of dosage, so you'll have to check the bottle. I've seen them in 500mg and 1300mg..
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageluvmygoofyguy:
    They come in different amount of dosage, so you'll have to check the bottle. I've seen them in 500mg and 1300mg..

Yeah, I think they vary. I use the 500 mgs. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I started taking the 1300mg capsules on Sunday and my OB said I'm 1cm dilated (as of yesterday) and my cervix verrry low. She said she stuck her finger thru my cervix and felt the baby's head.. She only said that because I asked if the baby was definitely head down since my last baby was breech & I wanted to make sure. I honestly feel like it's helping but it might just all be in my head.. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't know if it's helping, but I'd like to think it is. I have the 1,000mg capsules from Target. I started with one orally at 36 weeks, then added a second orally at 37 weeks, and then added in a vaginal one at 38 weeks. Also you can try sex as there's something in semen that is supposed to help prep your cervix as well. 
    ~DD born 3-25-10~DS born 6-5-12~
    imageimage
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"