Babies: 3 - 6 Months

any runners who BF?

I just started running... training for my first 5K.... but I feel like my supply has suddenly tanked and wondered if it's from the running.  (I'm running no longer than 20 minutes/day at this point)

Thanks!

~Annie Marie~
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
natural m/c 3.28.08, image
My Blog

Re: any runners who BF?

• I don't run, I do CrossFit, but make sure you are eating enough (protein!) and drinking a lot of water. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's possible, but also maybe not.  Best thing you can do to make sure your running isn't affecting your supply is to drink a TON of water and make sure you are eating enough.  I try to get 12 servings of water a day on days when I don't work out, and an additional 2-3 when I do work out.  It's hard to do some days, but I didn't do it right with my DD1 and it hurt my supply.  Also, track your calories.  You can run to lose weight (if that's part of your goal) safely, just make sure you account ~500 calories for BFing in your diet.  For me to maintain weight right now, I need between 2000 -2500 calories per day depending on my work out.  I tend to err on the high side to be safe.

If you google running and breastfeeding there's lots of good info out there.  I'm training to run a marathon in October and was surprised to see the amount of info to support that.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Make sure you drink water. Lots and lots and lots of water.
  • I do 5 miles (most) daily and lift weights with no problems.  Are you increasing calories to adjust for your increased expenditure?  It shouldn't interfere, especially if you're only doing 20 minutes
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"