Attachment Parenting
Options

Article about talking to girls

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-bloom/how-to-talk-to-little-gir_b_882510.html

Quite liked this article about having conversations with girls that value their brains rather than their looks. 

ETA can someone explain to my how to make a link clicky? I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong or if my comp won't let me do it for some reason. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

Re: Article about talking to girls

• Options

I've read this before, but I love it!  I teach, and it made me more aware of things I might say to little girls. 

clicky:  https://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-bloom/how-to-talk-to-little-gir_b_882510.html

Don't know - I copy/paste/push enter to get it clicky...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have tried to explain this to the grandparents and they don't get it. I feel like I have to overcompensate with praise for being kind, smart, funny, etc. I cringe just a bit when DD gets dressed and asks us if she looks beautiful. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageHarper'smom:
    We have tried to explain this to the grandparents and they don't get it. I feel like I have to overcompensate with praise for being kind, smart, funny, etc. I cringe just a bit when DD gets dressed and asks us if she looks beautiful. 

everyone who meets DD1 comments on her pretty curls. And yeah they're pretty, but I'm always so proud of how patient and co-operative she is in public, and she always keen to "talk" with the adults about everything that's going on, but no one comments on that. Sigh. 

• Options
    imageKateLouise:

imageHarper'smom:

everyone who meets DD1 comments on her pretty curls. And yeah they're pretty, but I'm always so proud of how patient and co-operative she is in public, and she always keen to "talk" with the adults about everything that's going on, but no one comments on that. Sigh. 

Yes! It the curls with us too. I actually worry this will give her a complex and that if #2 doesn't get the freakishly curly gene that she will resent people gushing over her sister. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Ugh, yes, people with the best intentions say the dumbest things. My daughter is very obviously bi-racial (blonde hair with very Asian facial features) and people make comments along the lines of "Mixed kids are always the prettiest" on literally a daily basis. It's so weird, not true and inappropriate to me. We have a large extended family with a ton of cousins and she is the only one of mixed race. She asked her very pale blonde cousin recently "are you sad you're white?". Gahhhh. 

• Options
    imageKayaXavier:

Ugh, yes, people with the best intentions say the dumbest things. My daughter is very obviously bi-racial (blonde hair with very Asian facial features) and people make comments along the lines of "Mixed kids are always the prettiest" on literally a daily basis. It's so weird, not true and inappropriate to me. We have a large extended family with a ton of cousins and she is the only one of mixed race. She asked her very pale blonde cousin recently "are you sad you're white?". Gahhhh. 

I'm guilty of thinking bi-racial kids are super pretty, pretty sure I wouldn't say it to their Mum though.

As much as I wouldn't want any kid to feel badly because of how they look, I can't help but think the world has come a long way when a kid can ask in all honesty, "are you sad you're white?" 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"