Stay at Home Moms

GTKY---Least favorite age to parent

I recently read an article talking about what age is hardest to parent. The article was pretty predictable and stated the obvious (depends on the child, etc).

As a FTM of a 5 month old I don't feel experienced enough to cast my vote for what age has been my most difficult time.

However...so far right now I'm ready to pull my hair out! DS is my first experience with a baby/small child. Past months have gone pretty smoothly. And in reality I'm sure he'd be considered an "easy baby". But between teething and him wanting to be more mobile I'm going nuts. He's never been a napper...but now not only is he not a napper---but crabby. He gets frusterated by not being able to move where he wants to go. When I sit and hold him he kicks me. He's discovering his voice and squeels loudly all day. He likes to be carried---but there's only so long my 5'0 frame can carry this 21 lbs baby. I keep telling myself I'm in for a real treat with upcoming ages though...

So, since I know everyone here has different age groups---what has been YOUR least favorite age to parent? For those with multiple children...would you vote completely differently on each child?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: GTKY---Least favorite age to parent

• I dislike the "big baby" stage (as my grandmother used to call it). Basically from early mobility (crawling or at least scooting) until walking independently. It's exhausting trying to keep up with them, make sure they're safe etc and there's not a lot of reward.

On the flip side I love newborns (even with the lack of sleep) and I love 2 so far. My son is not easy by any means, super high energy, into everything etc, but he's verbal and I love talking to him. He has his own interests and ideas and that brings more excitement to my day. He challenges me in more of the ways I love than he did when he was a "big baby". 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ariel06ariel06 member
    So far 3 is my least favorite.   The good times are really good, but the bad is awful. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Although I'm not too far ahead of you, I honestly haven't found an age I like least yet. I've found with every phase they have their plusses and minuses. When one phase ends, I get excited in watching them learn new skills but I mourn the end of the prior stage at the same time. It's all very bittersweet.

Overall, what I found hardest was the newborn stage the first time around by far. There's such a learning curve in knowing what you're doing and adjusting to the major life change that comes with being a first time parent. The second time around I found it a lot easier because there wasn't that learning curve. I still do miss my children being brand new babies even though I didn't find that stage most enjoyable though.

I'm probably also extremely biased because both of my kids have been very easy from birth and my oldest is very well behaved for a toddler, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Girls:  While the teenage years have been hard, 17 and 18 have been the absolute WORST.  There is nothing worse than a teenage girl who thinks that she knows everything, swears that their life is so incredibly hard, has a response for everything and insists that you don't have a clue about anything.  I want to rip my hair out some days.

Boys:  While 3 was difficult at times, 4 has in some ways been worse because Ben has become more head strong and physical.  Now that he no longer naps, it's only intensified this behavior because he's exhausted all of the time.

Even though the lack of sleep damn near kills me, I love the newborn stage.  They're so tiny, sweet and innocent.  I'm excited to meet our new little guy in the next 7(ish) weeks because I really miss that age.

• Well, my oldest is 5, so I can only vouch for the first five years. Right now I LOVE age 5. My DD is so much fun, independant, sweet, and easy. That's not to say she doesn't have her moments, but she's a very easy 5 year old.

As far as my least favorite...age 2. DS is 2.5 right now and the tantrums, whining, not wanting to potty train, etc. are driving me batty. The screaming over every little thing....it makes me want to go all sorts of crazy.

• The trying stage of 3yr old. (and then after the trying stage- it turns beautiful again).

Three is ROUGH.

Personally I love love love love love the newborn stage and everything about it.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I dislike the crawling/scooting stage. DD Scooted for about a month and than started walking. DS scoots but isn't even remotely close to walking. He's not pulling up or anything. Everyone tells me to enjoy it. No, actually I find it way easier to have to chase a walking baby than worry about a scooting one. Its also annoying having to hear everyone ask if he's walking yet. I know he's 13 months, and should be doing more, but he's not, he's getting an EI evaluation next week. I think I'm just frustrated. Lol. 
    Andrea 7/9/08, Joaquin 4/18/11, boy coming 12/18/13 Forever missed: Gabriel 11/24/09 at 20 weeks
  • roxy_jjroxy_jj member
    So far, 3 has by far been the hardest.  DD was a very difficult 3 year old and I think DS is even more difficult. 
    Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • That is a very hard question.  Each stage has something different that is challenging.  However, I'd say having a toddler is more challenging than a newborn.  She is always on the go, likes to "help", and is very clingy.  You always have to be entertaining them.  DD was a very easy newborn so I could just lay her down and go do things. 

• It is a tossup between DS's four months of colic followed by six more months of him hating life and the entire year from 3-4. On bad days in the threes, it completely trumped colic. On good days, colic won hands down.
  • My DD is just about 18 months, and the last few months have been kind of rough.  She is extremely energetic and does not listen, and also throws temper tantrums when she doesn't get her way.  She gets into everything she possibly can.  BUT she is super cute too, and she sleeps 10-12 hours straight every night.  I'm sure that age 2-3 will be even more of a challenge, but so far I feel like it gets more challenging as each month goes by.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm lucky that DD1 has been pretty mellow so far.  No age has been particularly bad.  I would definitely say that 4 has been the most trying, in that she's SO argumentative, but doesn't really follow adult logic.  She just wants to get her point across and will.not.give.up.

I am loving the newborn stage with this one.  Except it's hard not having a break between caring for the two DDs.  I'm looking forward to the 6-12 month stage.

DH and I are NOT looking forward to when we have two teenage girls.  We keep realizing, OMG, we'll have 13 year old and 17 year old girls at the same time.  Scary.

• imagecjcouple:

For those that think 3 was the hardest can I ask what about 3 is hard for you? 

My oldest might have spoiled me, by 3 he was well trained and behaved wonderfully so I am curious what i may have escaped? 

OMG Parker was a mess at 3.  She wanted to be a baby and a big girl at the same time.  Consequently she was an emotional mess.  Every.little.thing was a fight or a meltdown and when she had to be punished or given time away to cool off she reverted back to toddler stuff.  It was awful.  Four has been easier, but no walk in the park.

Otherwise I hate 0-18 months because I just don't love the newborn/baby stage.  That said, 18-3 is my favorite, by far. 

• Newborn was hardest for me.  Life became more bearable when they started to interact, and much more fun when they could communicate (even signs, etc).  I loved all the snuggling but overall it was the hardest.  They are so floppy and fragile Stick out tongue

Sure, there are things about the other stages that are tough (tantrums at 2, manipulative at 3) but they are also sweet, hilarious, thoughtful and a host of other adjectives that far eclipse the bad stuff.  (Hmm, I must be having a good day...)

• imageCnAmom:
    imagecjcouple:

For those that think 3 was the hardest can I ask what about 3 is hard for you? 

My oldest might have spoiled me, by 3 he was well trained and behaved wonderfully so I am curious what i may have escaped? 

Ya know, we had some of the same problems at 2 (he Can be defiant, and temperamental, and very, very stubborn), but it seems like they have intensified recently. The tantrums are more intense (and louder), and he's learning how to push my buttons....while speaking in full sentences. Don't get me wrong, he is very capable of being a sweet, adorable, well behaved little boy. But when he decides he's going to have a bad day everyone is a target and nobody is safe from the ensuing chaos that is a 3 year old tantrum.
    I don't know about you, but DS literally chooses to have bad days sometimes. He will stand at the top.of the stairs just after waking up and scream "I am going to be cranky today!" at the top of his lungs. Then he follows through with zest.
  • KarBearKarBear member
    I actually find every new age is my least favorite.  So, these days, 3 is my least favorite.
  • With DS1 3 was so much harder than 2.  With the twins, the first couple of months were hell, I'm sad that I was in survival and couldn't enjoy them more when they were tiny.
  • 2-3 year olds.  I really hate this age.  They want their independence but are still too young to understand most things.  The tantrums kill me.  I much prefer when they're a bit older and more rational.  Trying to contain a 30lb toddler who's flailing b/c he can't get his way is exhausting.  

I have 3 kids and I hated this stage with all 3.  It was a bit older with my girls (maybe 3-4ish) but it was the terrible two stage behavior wise.  

Now with my kids getting older I have a feeling I'm not going to like the teenage years either.  My oldest is 9 and she's starting to develop an attitude.  I can only imagine what it's going to be like in a few years.  Plus, she's the sweet one!  All bets are off with #2 is a teenager.  I may need to move to a separate house for a few years.  Let DH deal with her.   

• 3! 3! 3!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"