Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How to keep an 8 week old entertained?

Now that DS is 8 weeks, he is awake alot during the day now. I don't know how to keep him entertained! He is only interested in laying under the play gym for 15 min (at most) at a time. Usually he will only lay there once a day. If I try to put him in it agian later in the day he just cries. He will lay in the nap nanny for awhile (sometimes) and stare at the fan for maybe 15 min, lol. The swing is his favorite. Thats where he wants to nap and will lay there awake quite a bit, too. The rest of the time he wants to be held and bounced. I don't know what else to try. Tell what else works for your LO's. TIA!!
image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest!

Re: How to keep an 8 week old entertained?

• That's about it. We talk a lot and I mimic the sounds he makes. Our activity mat has a light up star shaped sun that plays music and lights up and he loves it. It's part of the Baby Einstein brand. You could try that, or a mirror. Other than that, I don't have any other ideas.
  • imagelsmith100:
    Now that DS is 8 weeks, he is awake alot during the day now. I don't know how to keep him entertained! He is only interested in laying under the play gym for 15 min (at most) at a time. Usually he will only lay there once a day. If I try to put him in it agian later in the day he just cries. He will lay in the nap nanny for awhile (sometimes) and stare at the fan for maybe 15 min, lol. The swing is his favorite. Thats where he wants to nap and will lay there awake quite a bit, too. The rest of the time he wants to be held and bounced. I don't know what else to try. Tell what else works for your LO's. TIA!!

This is us too...LO will be 9 weeks Saturday and we face this struggle daily. Besides his playmat I don't really even use toys nor do I knw what toys to use. In general, I feel quite clueless in the entertainment department. 

• Loading the player...
  • The best thing you can do for your kiddos is talk with them, sing to them, hold them, make faces at them. We also look at books -- really just the ones with interesting pictures, and I just point to them and tell her what they are. She also seems to like looking at pictures of our family, so I pull the computer up and do some slideshows of grandparents, her big brother, our friends, cousins, etc. We dance a lot (yes, that's really just me holding her, but at least we're doing something). I EP, so we have a lot of time during the day where she needs to be entertained while I'm not holding her. Talking to her (I literally just ramble, or tell her what we need to do for the day, or recap our day, or vent, if I need to) keeps her the most entertained!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    CafeMom Tickers
  • I put my DS in his crib during the day and play his mobile. Also, I will put him on my legs and we have chats and make faces. My father in law takes him around the house and shows him random objects and he loves that. Recently I started playing him baby youtube videos while he sits in the boppy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Check out productive parenting.com. I signed up for weekly emails that give suggestions on how to entertain LO. 
  • Walks in slings and strollers are a great way to entertain. The outdoors keeps my LO entertained longer than anything!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • We do pretty much everything you do but another thing I like to do is get out of the house and go to the store (grocery shopping or whatever). DS absolutely loves siting in his carseat/stroller and staring up at the fluorescent lights on the ceiling going by as we walk. I think that would keep him entertained all day long :-) Its fun for him and for me to get out of the house!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"