1st Trimester
Options

Lower back pain=UTI?

I've been having lower back pain that keeps me up at night. It hurts during the day too and feels better when I bend a certain way but obviously I can't walk around bent over all day. I use a heating pad on my back and it seems to help. I was looking up what it could be (something about the increased blood flow maybe) and I saw UTI or kidney infection. However I have no pain when peeing (I've had a UTI before and it hurt a lot) and I'm not peeing anymore than normal since pregnancy began. I didn't think about it being a UTI but I guess it could be. Anyone else have bad back pain this early? I guess I can go into my OB for a urine sample tomorrow. Any input?

Jacob, 1/14/13

Re: Lower back pain=UTI?

• Options
    MelleTXMelleTX member

Lower back pain is really common in early pregnancy. Your uterus is starting to stretch and grow and it's pushing on your pelvis. Your muscles are freaking out. 

My tailbone is killing me. I think my muscles are shredded from all the PIO injections. Heating pads do help.  

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Options
    It's reassuring to hear I'm not the only one. When I mentioned it to my mom and grandma they were surprised it started so early since I haven't gained any weight yet. I thought it was normal further along but not this early. Thank you!

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not far enough along to have experienced back pain, but when I have experienced UTIs in the past, I had had a maddening feeling that I had to pee all of the time, but often no pee would come. Keep drinking that water and you should be fine. :-)

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• Options
    eav2ceav2c member
    Sounds like it is just typical pregnancy aches. However if it gets worse or you continue to feel bad, I would go to the doctors. Uti's are very common duty pregnancy but also need to be taken care of ASAP.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageMelissaRae1525:
    I've been having lower back pain that keeps me up at night. It hurts during the day too and feels better when I bend a certain way but obviously I can't walk around bent over all day. I use a heating pad on my back and it seems to help. I was looking up what it could be (something about the increased blood flow maybe) and I saw UTI or kidney infection. However I have no pain when peeing (I've had a UTI before and it hurt a lot) and I'm not peeing anymore than normal since pregnancy began. I didn't think about it being a UTI but I guess it could be. Anyone else have bad back pain this early? I guess I can go into my OB for a urine sample tomorrow. Any input?

Pesonally I would go to your Ob or atleast give a call. 

I just finished my last dose of medication last night for a UTI.... The only things that made me think something might be up was back pain and an occasional cramp when my bladder got full. Sure enough I had a UTI, Better safe then sorry right :) 

• Options
    If it is a UTI or a kidney infection, your back pain would be more mid-back (where your kidney's are) I am a nurse so this is not just word of mouth. However, pregnancy disguises UTI symptoms: frequency, urgency, etc. So it's best to be safe and go provide a urine sample for your doctor. Any elevated white blood cells will show up with a simple 'urine dip' using PH paper they have in office. Super easy! I had some ever so slight burning while peeing, and just once too, with no other symptoms. I went to the doctor right away and sure enough, a UTI. Better to be proactive!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It's definitely low back pain, near the bottom of my spine on both sides. I'm waiting for a call back from the nurse to see if they want me to come in for a urine sample. Better safe than sorry is my new motto.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Options
    Low back pain in the only symptom I'm sporting to date, but I'm only 4w1d.  It's so hard to not freak out over every little twinge so early on, but I'm trying to keep a positive thought process going and be excited!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"