Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Blood in poop, need advice, XP

xp april 2012

Some back story:

At about 2 week old my LO developed what I thought was colic. He would pump his legs, scream, cry, make fists, go stiff, arch back. He was still gaining weight and poop was normal. I suspected foremilk/hindmilk imbalance so I started block feeding, no improvement.

Then he started having random green poop along with the colic type symptoms so I suspected dairy intolerance. I cut out dairy with little improvement.

I had a gluten/dairy free cake for my birthday (i`m gluten intolerant). I ate like 3 pieces/day for 3 days. LO`s poop turned almost florescent green and very mucusy and he developed ezcema on his face. So I`m thinking MSPI. I cut out all dairy/soy and his poop went back to normal but still had random dark green parsley poop and random light green mucusy poop.

Colic symptoms almost gone. Haven`t had to use gas drops in a couple weeks.

DH gave LO a bottle this weekend of Alimentum. We give LO a bottle about twice a week to get him used to it, usually I use frozen breastmilk but we were out of town and I didn`t have any. About 24 hours after he had bloody streaks in his poop, in 2 diapers.

Now poop is back to normal and he doesn`t seem to have any cramps. We took him to the doctor yesterday and she was useless.

Me: "should I be concerned about the blood?"

Doctor: "well it's hard to say if it's blood or not... I wouldn't worry unless he had a rash or swelling"

Me: "um well he does have ezcema and he had a rash 2 weeks ago and a swollen eye".

Doctor: "oh... well I wouldn't worry unless he looks like he has cramps and in pain"

Me: "um he's been having cramps since 2 weeks old!"

Doctor: "oh... well I wouldn't worry, he's gaining weight just fine and his stool is back to normal now, just call me if it happens again"

WTF.

So bascially it was a useless appointment. I'm already gluten intolerant so I don't want to stop eating dairy/soy if I don't have to. But to me it seems pretty obvious that LO is MSPI. For some reason I just need a doctor to tell me it is to reassure me you know?

I'm in Canada so it's very hard to find a doctor let alone a pediatrician. I was lucky enough to have my uncle call his and beg her to accept my LO. She was going to see him in 2 weeks so I called today and explained that he had bloody stool and she will fit him in tomorrow morning.

I'm not really sure what i'm looking for... If I eat dairy/soy he has symptoms if I don't he's fine... Do I really need a doctor to confirm? I asked my doctor to test his stool for blood but she didn't want too, and I asked her about allergy testing but she said he was too young. She basically just said to put cream on his face and call her back if he has blood again. Urgh. I'm scared every time I open his diaper cause I never know what i'll find!

WWYD?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Blood in poop, need advice, XP

• Options

oh dear, I hated that fear of opening the diaper.  I would get sorta excited thinking, "Maybe this one will be better, maybe this will be when it finally looks normal."  We know how that went...

You already know he has all the symptoms of allergies, and you know it to be true because you have seen how he reacts to certain foods.  You are a wise momma but it always feels good to have someone agree and confirm.  DS is very lucky that you are really working to give him the best and that you are seeking out the most optimal care for him.  Hopefully the pedi is helpful, but if not then don't let go of what you already know in your heart to be true.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    AmyC925AmyC925 member
    Lurking...

Is the blood bright red (like if you were to have a cut) or dark red? Bright red usually means something surface, such as a rectal tear or a scratch, which would explain why it went back to normal.
    If LO continues to have cramps after having dairy, I would consider it a sensitivity or intolerance. Cramping is usually one of the most common symptoms of sensitivity or intolerance. Be aware that LO may have a sensitivity rather than intolerance (for example, I can't drink plain milk but can have other dairy products in small amounts).

Dx: Endometriosis (2010), PCOS (2013)

TTC since 8/2012

BFP 3/9/2014  Femara 7mg + trigger. EDD 11/20/2014

http://amycookiemonster.blogspot.com

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I feel like I need actual proof/reassurance too but it's so hard to get. I'm just going with the knowledge that she reacts when I have dairy and just not eating it. I donated all my old pumped (while eating dairy) milk today. Thankfully her pedi (who is also my employer and friend) does agree that she is dairy intolerant and encouraging me to stick with the new way of eating So I think that helps me. It definitely sounds like your LO is MSPI so I would just stick to it if I were you . I know it's probably soooo hard (harder than me just being dairy) but you can do it!! Hopefully you can starry reintroducing in a few months. Good luck! 
    <3 Delaney. 4.5.12. <3 <br> Photobucket
  • Options
    minirayminiray member
    Thanks ladies.  We went to see the pediatrician today for a second opinion as well as another naturopath yesterday, both agree with me that he`s MSPI.  So happy to finally have the ``diagnosis``, we also got a script for Neocate since he reacted to the Alimentum. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"