Breastfeeding

poor weight gain at 2 months

DD had her 2 month check up today.  She weighed 11 lbs 2 oz, which is exactly the same as she did at 6 weeks.  Granted, it was in the morning instead of afternoon, and it was a completely different scale (at the pedi's office instead of the BFing clinic), but I'm still worried since I struggled with supply with DS and with DD early on.  I'd like to get some outside input on a plan of action. 

I'm already taking fenugreek, blessed thistle, goat's rue, and 120mg of domperidone.  I've heard that some people take 160mg, so I'm thinking about upping my dosage.  I'm also thinking that I'll pump after every feeding except the middle of the night.  I've been feeding on demand, which usually amounts to every 2.5ish hours during the day with a 6 or 7 hour stretch at night.  How often do you think I should offer the breast?  Should I wake her up at night? 

I've recently moved to a tiny town, and I don't know any LCs here.  I plan to call the hospital where I delivered DD and get some advice by phone, too, but I'd appreciate any input you ladies have as well. 

ETA: DD is generally contentand has 6-8 wet diapers per day  She has a poopy diaper every 4-5 days, which has a normal, runny consistency, but is sometimes greenish. 

Hilary
imageimage
imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: poor weight gain at 2 months

• I've read that greenish can indicate too much fore milk, not enough hind milk, but if that's only occasionally it's probably not that.  My DD is about the same age and is gaining slowly, too.  We started her on Zantac last week because I've always had a hunch she has a touch of reflux, even though she is always happy and almost never cries.  She chokes if I lay her down within 20 minutes of eating, and she doesn't stay latched very well at all.  It's minor, but DD1 and I both have a very high pain tolerance, so maybe this LO does, too, and she's not eating well because she's uncomfortable.  We go back for a weight check next week, so we'll see.  Is your pediatrician concerned? 6 weeks to 2 months isn't that long.  Maybe a weight check in a couple of weeks would show something different?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a history of low supply with DS.  He had insufficient diapers, lost 13% of his weight, and because severely jaundiced.  We started the bf, supplement, pump routine.  I was unsuccessful eliminating the supplement, and quit at 10 weeks.  Believe me, I tried everything, and was only producing appoximately 12 oz/day.   

With DD, I was determined to make it work, but we still had problems.  She didn't have sufficient diaper output by day 5.  A weighed feeding showed she was taking in only 15mL.  After that, we supplemented with 15mL at every feeding.  Later weighed feedings were always on the low end of normal.  At 3 weeks, I thought we were doing great because I had slowly cut out the supplements.  A weighed feeding at 2.5 weeks showed she took 59mL, and I thought I was well on my way to EBF.  By 4 weeks, she was acting unsatisfied and fussy.  Every feeding was taking forever.  We were in the middle of moving, and I just decide to EP for awhile until we got settled. 

My stint with almost EPing (I continued to BF once a day to keep DD latching) lasted from 4 to 6 weeks.  I was getting about 16 oz/day (plus one nursing session).  I was needing to supplement with about 4-6 oz since DD was taking in 20-22 oz by bottle.  I started dom at 5 weeks, and I increased to 20 oz/day.  We did a weighed feeding at 6 weeks, and she took in 72 mL.  It had been about 2.5 hours since her previous feeding, so I thought we were back in business.  Over the past two weeks, I've tried to transistion her back to the breast.  I incorporated more and more feedings every day.  The past 4 or 5 days, she's been exclusively at the breast.  Now that she's not gaining weight, I just think that maybe I didn't really get my supply up as much as I thought.  DD seems to latch great.  The LCs have always said that she does a great job and is very patient, even with her early introduction to the bottle. 

My BFing experience with DS was terrible, and it has put so much doubt in my mind.  I never felt my milk "come in" with either child.  My breasts hardly changed at all in pregnancy or even now.  I want DD to get my milk, but there is so much doubt in my mind because of the struggles I've had.  Every day, I wonder if I'm starving my child.  I'm about to go back to EPing even if I have to supplement just so I know she's getting enough.   

Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"