April 2011 Moms

Anyone doing 2% milk instead of whole milk?

I'm just curious. I've read various places that if you have a family history of obesity, high cholesterol, etc., that it's okay to start your baby on 2% milk instead of whole milk as long as you have other "good fats" in your baby's diet -- Omega 3's, olive oil, etc. Basically, you're not aiming for "low-fat" but the "right" fats.

I just wondered if I'm the only person not doing whole milk... TIA!

MacAndCheese
Mac and cheese lover!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone doing 2% milk instead of whole milk?

• LoCarbLoCarb member
    We do 1% at home for convenience for both girls. The adults drink skim milk. It's too much for us to buy 3 diffn't types. DD drinks whole milk at DC.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We tried whole milk on and off for a month, and it upset her stomach, so she gets 2%. I did ask our pedi to be sure it was ok.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Loading the player...
  • Hannah only drinks 4 oz of cow's milk a day at this point so we are doing 2% so she can share with DH.
  • imagejteneback:
    Hannah only drinks 4 oz of cow's milk a day at this point so we are doing 2% so she can share with DH.

Nora drinks about 24 oz! lol

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• ams8099ams8099 member

imagejteneback:
    Hannah only drinks 4 oz of cow's milk a day at this point so we are doing 2% so she can share with DH.

Wow! Only 4! I bet that will change soon. My girls started off only drinking a little bit, but now sometimes they drink 12oz by noon!

Our IVF Miracles! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • AMB11AMB11 member

imageGrace0609:
    We do both whole and 2% milk.  If we have whole milk around (ie we made it to the grocery store that week : )), then he gets whole.  If not, he drinks DS1's milk, which is 1 or 2%.  Yeah, I aim for feeding him good foods, and don't worry too much about how much milk he gets.

Same here.  And the bolded statement is SO. TRUE. in our house!!

Big Boy N - 2009
    Little Man Z - 2011
    Baby Girl E - 2013

• We do both. She drinks 16oz a day, usually. Her morning cup is usually whole. Then water all day. and then like 4-8oz at night of 2%.
    Chelsea; 7/22/2005 Carissa; 4/9/2011 Cassidy; 9/6/2012
    Baby #4; 7/7/2018
  • My LO drinks 1% because that is what we drink at our house.  At his 12 month appointment his DR said that is didn't matter if he got whole milk or not.  With the foods we eat today LO gets enough of "good fats" and drinking whole milk would be over doing it.
  • Our pedi said to give him what ever we drink.  We give him whole because we don't drink any milk.  He doesn't really get much fat anywhere else right now so I am not worried.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"