Blended Families

being undermined at every turn today and i'm about ready to scream

It might be hormones but I'm just done with my family after today locking myself in my bedroom and my fiance can sleep on the couch or what ever.  

First we have guest from over seas visiting as things are gearing up for the wedding and so today my fiance's three sisters arrived from Ireland which was wonderful and I was really enjoying  our lunch when my brother called my fiance and not me about getting in trouble.  He only did this because he knew that he'd get away with it if it was with my fiance.  They did a good old boy kinda talk and that was that.  (he was caught with a girl in the gym during his lunch period.)  I would of handled it very differently but we want to be on the same page with things so i let it go, it could of been worse he isn't being kicked out and as my brother put it at least he's making friends.  He's had a rough couple years and I can let it go.

Then dinner time rolls around, it was supposed to be the whole family, all nine of us.  But SS15 decided that he didn't feel well, and couldn't possibly eat with us.   I said he had to at least come sit because his aunts had flown so very far and it would be rude.  He asked his father and got out of it and even allowed to go lay and read books in our bed and sleep in there tonight.   That is his ultimate favorite thing.  He would sleep with us every single night if we let him.  We worked hard to break this habit and I objected to this and got "But he's sick and really will sleep better, he needs the rest."    Again i looked like the horrid witch for saying no to something.

The final straw came about twenty minutes ago when I was already tucked into bed (i threw an old fashion hissy fit until my fiance agreed to not have him share out bed tonight) and ss15 texts me... doesn't come talk to me but texts me to tell me he's hungry and wants a grilled cheese.  I told him i'd heat up some left overs if he wanted dinner but i would not make a grilled cheese...  

Well he's getting his grilled cheese and my fiance can sleep on the couch I'm going to spread out and take up the whole bed tonight just me and my fluttery babies. 

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: being undermined at every turn today and i'm about ready to scream

• I have no idea what to say other than HOLY CRAP YOUR FI LETS A 15 YEAR OLD SLEEP IN YOUR BED! With you?! In no way can that be appropriate.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKaeldrasmommy:

I have no idea what to say other than HOLY CRAP YOUR FI LETS A 15 YEAR OLD SLEEP IN YOUR BED! With you?! In no way can that be appropriate.

The way he justifies it is that ss because of his special needs is much more like a younger child.  Emotionally and cognitively.   He is more on par with most seven or eight year olds.  It makes life very challenging.  When I moved in though we broke the habit and he was doing very well on sleeping in his own room but he still tries to talk his way back into what he wants.

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageXIrishPrincessX:
    imageKaeldrasmommy:

I have no idea what to say other than HOLY CRAP YOUR FI LETS A 15 YEAR OLD SLEEP IN YOUR BED! With you?! In no way can that be appropriate.

The way he justifies it is that ss because of his special needs is much more like a younger child.  Emotionally and cognitively.   He is more on par with most seven or eight year olds.  It makes life very challenging.  When I moved in though we broke the habit and he was doing very well on sleeping in his own room but he still tries to talk his way back into what he wants.

I remember a bit of your background. But while he may be emotionally and cognitively much younger, PHYSICALLY he is not.
  • imageKaeldrasmommy:
    imageXIrishPrincessX:
    imageKaeldrasmommy:

I remember a bit of your background. But while he may be emotionally and cognitively much younger, PHYSICALLY he is not.

I've made it very clear (and restated tonight) that if SS is sleeping in the bed then I will not be.  It makes me feel awkward and uncomfortable.   I also told him tonight that as soon as the babies come the bed will be my space and theirs, if SS needs someone to sleep with I will not be displaced my fiance can go sit in SS's room with him if he needs.

• holy crap. your FI undermines you and your authority and it sounds to me like he doesn't even respect your opinion. 

yes, your SS is special needs, and doesn't feel well, but you and your FI should be on the same page. yes it makes you look (and feel) like the witch when you say no and he gives in, but he is also (IMO) babying SS to an extreme.  I'm not sure what sort of special needs he is, but even at 7 or 8 yrs old he should have been seated at the table with you guys for dinner, he should NOT be sleeping in your bed.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageXIrishPrincessX:
    imageKaeldrasmommy:
    imageXIrishPrincessX:
    imageKaeldrasmommy:

I've made it very clear (and restated tonight) that if SS is sleeping in the bed then I will not be.  It makes me feel awkward and uncomfortable.   I also told him tonight that as soon as the babies come the bed will be my space and theirs, if SS needs someone to sleep with I will not be displaced my fiance can go sit in SS's room with him if he needs.

Good for you. I hope that you and your Fi manage to get on the same page. I'm sure you've got more than enough to worry about without disagreeing with him and having him undermine you.
  • These are some serious red flags. You are willing to live the rest of your life like this? Once you get married your fi isn't going to magically change... 
    Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • Here is my total armchair psychologist reaction. Has your FI always been such a pushover when it comes to his son or has it gotten worse after you got pregnant? I think he is parenting with guilt, which never works out well. Nip it in the bud now or I imagine it will only get worse with the twins.  At a cognitive level of 7-8 years old, SS knows how to play you guys and surely he will only get better at it.
  • imagepiffle42:
    Good for you.  I can totally understand you being uncomfortable.  It may be someone comforting for SS, but I think it's a much better idea for your FI to go sit with SS when he's having trouble sleeping.  The only time I let DS (8) sleep in our bed is when DH is out of town and even that's not all the time.  He slept with me for a long time but never tried to after DH and I got married (we didn't live together until we got married) unless DH is out of town.  I think it's like a special treat for him.  He's snuggled with us in the morning, but that's it.

I feel like sometimes I moved in and disrupted things, like I made him have to share his dad so I'm okay with sometimes giving up my spot in bed for them to have some time.  Like you with your son while your DH is out of town.  

• imageholly71087:

holy crap. your FI undermines you and your authority and it sounds to me like he doesn't even respect your opinion. 

yes, your SS is special needs, and doesn't feel well, but you and your FI should be on the same page. yes it makes you look (and feel) like the witch when you say no and he gives in, but he is also (IMO) babying SS to an extreme.  I'm not sure what sort of special needs he is, but even at 7 or 8 yrs old he should have been seated at the table with you guys for dinner, he should NOT be sleeping in your bed.

I agree with you that he is babying him in this instance, often he can be almost too tough on the boys and it is me that reminds me to use a more gentle hand.  Honey works better then vinegar and all that but in this case it's much too much.  He is imo totally oblivious to the fact that SS is playing us to get what he wants in the end.  He'll see though when he's better and tries to pull the dinner thing again.  I know him well enough by now to know seeing it worked once he'll try it again and I'll be there to tell my FI "i told you so" (not super mature on my part but sometimes you have to sink down a bit.)

• imageMelRC117:

imagemschocokitty:
    Here is my total armchair psychologist reaction. Has your FI always been such a pushover when it comes to his son or has it gotten worse after you got pregnant? I think he is parenting with guilt, which never works out well. Nip it in the bud now or I imagine it will only get worse with the twins.  At a cognitive level of 7-8 years old, SS knows how to play you guys and surely he will only get better at it.

This. I hope you didn't make the grilled cheese...I hope FI did.  If he wants to let him have the grilled cheese, then he can make it.  And he suddenly feels better now that he can eat?  Seems like your FI is being played.  If FI does this now, I wouldn't want to know what will happen when your TWINS come around and get older and know that they can just ask dad to get their way.

I'm very well aware that he is manipulating but FI doesn't seem to see it.  Which makes me feel like the bad guy for pointing out.  But I think he's going to start seeing it when he tries to pull this move again and again once the ear infection is gone.  and NO i did not make the grilled cheese, i would of heated up the left overs if he'd wanted them but there was no way I was going to cook another whole meal.  I mentioned to him too, when we finally sat down and talked last night that I worried this would continue even after the babies came and he assured me it was just because SS was sick.  So we'll see how it goes, he did eat the breakfast and lunch i made today so can't claim he's being starved to death.

• imagetifanico:

imagekaratechrissy:
    These are some serious red flags. You are willing to live the rest of your life like this? Once you get married your fi isn't going to magically change... 

This is what I was going to say but didn't want to be too harsh. Its better if you sort this out BEFORE the wedding. As Karatechrissy said, he is not going to magically change once you get married.  

I don't believe that a few bumps along the way means that the whole marriage will be like this.  It's pretty new all of us living together and so there is a lot to iron out.  I know he won't change completely after we're married but every relationship takes time and work.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"