Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

EP'ers- bottle nipple question

When I first started pumping, it was only one bottle per day and the rest BF. Then I went to 50/50, then 80/20, and lately EP. I think I want to just EP now. I BF last week and he bit me- 4x!

This morning when he was drinking his bottle, he flattened the nipple 3x. Should I switch him to a level 2 nipple now? I wasn't going to switch him because I was going to BF & Pump, but if I am just going to EP now, maybe I should? What are you doing?

Re: EP'ers- bottle nipple question

• Options
    I EP and yes, if he's squishing the nipple that's a sign to move him up to a level 2 (although you didn't say he was frustrated by this happening which is good). We had been using Dr. Brown's and he was still using a level 1. But I recently switched him to Avent and he uses a level 2 on that so all bottles/nipples are different. I would try moving him up to a level 2 and if he's spilling, coughing because he's drinking too quickly, etc then maybe put him back at level 1 until he is a little older (or try a different brand of bottle). Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

1 - I wonder if the biting of the nipple is connected with biting you. He got an interesting response when he bit you so he was testing to see if it would happen again. 

2 - Technically my experience isn't with EP, but I pumped during the work day for a year. Breastfed babies never need to go up in nipple size, and never need to increase the quantity they consume. My son was still using newborn nipples and drinking 4 oz at a time when he was one. Breastmilk adjusts so bottles don't have to. Now, if you want him to be able to finish his bottle faster and he's not going back and forth between breast and bottle then you can go up in size, but it's not necessary. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    NiniJ55NiniJ55 member
    If he flattened the nipple I would say move up a nipple size.  I moved up to size 2 eventually with DS - but never needed anything beyond that.  I EPed for him until he was 12 months.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Another thing is to make sure the nipple isn't screwed down too tight. Our LO is still at level 1 and if the nipple isn't tightened all the way down he gets plenty of flow just fine but he will flatten it if it is all the way tight. Just don't make it too loose or it will drip, you have to find the sweet spot Big Smile
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"