Special Needs

How do you handle..

when other kids ask what is wrong with your child?

My son has apraxia. We were at the playground today and he was playing/having a conversation with a child who was 5. The 5 year old asked me why he talked funny. I didn't know how to answer. I ended up responding that he was just a baby and still learning to talk, to which the child responded that he didn't look like a baby (mind you, my nearly 2.5 year old is about as tall as a 4 year old so not too much smaller than the 5 year old, lol).

I couldn't think of a way to explain apraxia simple enough for a 5 year old to comprehend. I'm sure there's some painfully obvious answer that I'm totally overlooking.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How do you handle..

• I just say something along the lines of "there's nothing wrong with him, that's just the way he was born" and most kids usually just say that's cool. My son was born with a limb difference, but I think that response could cover most everything
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I just told the kids that he was still learning, and I might add (depending on the child) that everybody has to learn to talk.
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Loading the player...
  • All great ideas-thanks ladies!Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS still hardly talks and when he does it's hard to understand him. I just tell kids that he is just like you but he is learning to talk a bit different.

So far it has worked well. 

Diabetic, 2IF, PCOS; blessed beyond words to be called "mommy" to Drew (6/30/09) and Alynn (5/16/11).
    Parenting author for Women of Worth. Mom Blogger and photographer.

Andrew David: mixed receptive/expressive language phonological disorder, sensory processing disorder, Disruptive Behavior disorder-nos and insomnia.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I am glad you posted this! I would not know what to say if any kid would ask about DS.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"