Trying to Get Pregnant

Low progesterone? (kinda long)

Hello, I have been lurking for a while and am a former TTGP grad and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with low progesterone and / or getting prescribed progesterone to help with a short LP?

Here's the back story - The last few years my cycle has always been SUPER predictable and regular, but all of a sudden things are out of whack. (Of course, now that we're TTC again).

I did have some issues with a short LP when we were TTC LO, but I upped my intake of foods high in vitamin B6 & B12 & that really seemed to help. Well, the last few months, I have had the same issue and it's not helping this time.

Last month, I started spotting 9DPO, which lasted all the way until AF arrived. I optimistically hoped it was implantation bleeding (which I had with LO), but tested negative several times.

The odd thing is that the this cycle the spotting has continued even four days after AF stopped!

(edited to add - this was my 3rd cycle in a row of short LPs)

Anyway, after this month I'm supposed to call my OB and discuss the possibility of getting on progesterone for the next cycle to help my LP and the spotting. Has anyone gone through this or know much about it? My google searches haven't been very insightful!

TIA

Re: Low progesterone? (kinda long)

• I'm in STL, too.  What part are you in?

You say you start spotting at 9DPO, but when does full flow come?  You've need to have b/w done at 7DPO to confim you have low P4.  If you do, it is usually helped via P4 suppositories.  You could also try straigh B12 vitamins and see if that helps, but talk with your DR as far as dosage.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I noticed I had a LFP defect after I had my first son. While I was breastfeeding, my LP was only 8-9 days; once I weaned DS, my LP went to 10 days. I went to my RE and had testing done at both 4dpo (7 days before I expected AF) and 7dpo. My first level was normal, but the second was too low. So, my P level starts out okay, but drops too soon.

I was put on Prometrium  and it has worked well. If you do start on supps, I would recommend taking them vaginally, since the symptoms are less severe. I had terrible dizzy spells when I took the Prometrium orally.

Good luck!

Mom to 4 wonderful children: T(8), B(6) ,M(3), and A(1)
    baby #5 due 12-07-14
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • PGASTLPGASTL member
    imageKdgTeacher:

I'm in STL, too.  What part are you in?

You say you start spotting at 9DPO, but when does full flow come?  You've need to have b/w done at 7DPO to confim you have low P4.  If you do, it is usually helped via P4 suppositories.  You could also try straigh B12 vitamins and see if that helps, but talk with your DR as far as dosage.

Hi KdgTeacher - I live in St. Peters. :) I wonder if my Dr. will have me do the bloodwork if this cycle is short as well - he just said to call him after this next cycle (which would make for a total of 4 short LPs).

The spotting was at 9DPO but full flow was at 14DPO. The spotting alternated between brown and red and was there every time I went to the restroom, but not enough to qualify as full flow.

• PGASTLPGASTL member
    imagegsalyer06:

I noticed I had a LFP defect after I had my first son. While I was breastfeeding, my LP was only 8-9 days; once I weaned DS, my LP went to 10 days. I went to my RE and had testing done at both 4dpo (7 days before I expected AF) and 7dpo. My first level was normal, but the second was too low. So, my P level starts out okay, but drops too soon.

I was put on Prometrium  and it has worked well. If you do start on supps, I would recommend taking them vaginally, since the symptoms are less severe. I had terrible dizzy spells when I took the Prometrium orally.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice!

• AlbahAlbah member
    I don't have too much advice but I am going through something very similar. My LP's have been 10 days long post BFing. I've had 2 miscarriages since then. The 1st one the Ob didn't test progesterone but this time she did and it was a whopping 1. I'm going to be seeing a RE soon to have the "workup" but i'm pretty sure I developed a LFD with BFing and it lingered around. I recommend you discuss your concerns with your Ob prior to TTC. You don't want to find yourself in a situation that you are KU and it could be too late to supplement. Good luck! 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I've been spotting for around 5 days starting at 8-10 dpo for the las 5 cycles. I have an appointment lined up in a few weeks to discuss what this means.
  • imagesynchrosally:
    I've been spotting for around 5 days starting at 8-10 dpo for the las 5 cycles. I have an appointment lined up in a few weeks to discuss what this means.

I still get spotting during my LP, even with a progesterone level over 11. The best I can figure is, my body stops producing it around 8dpo and is fully dependent on the supps at that point, hence the spotting. Maybe you're having a large dip just prior to the spotting? I hope you get an answer soon!

Mom to 4 wonderful children: T(8), B(6) ,M(3), and A(1)
    baby #5 due 12-07-14
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagegsalyer06:

imagesynchrosally:
    I've been spotting for around 5 days starting at 8-10 dpo for the las 5 cycles. I have an appointment lined up in a few weeks to discuss what this means.

I still get spotting during my LP, even with a progesterone level over 11. The best I can figure is, my body stops producing it around 8dpo and is fully dependent on the supps at that point, hence the spotting. Maybe you're having a large dip just prior to the spotting? I hope you get an answer soon!

Me too! This is completely unusual for me. I had 5 months of "normal" and now this Sad 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"