November 2012 Moms
Options

Question about changing due date!

So I posted about the u/s doctor changing my due date by 10 days. However, when I went to see my OB yesterday, she said she's not changing the date??!!!

She said they only go by the first dating ultra sound, and because that was only a 5 day difference, they're still going by my LMP.

I'm just curious, is this normal?  I'm only asking because I would like to be sure when I plan my maternity leave / disability. I would like to have (possibly) an accurate due date. 

Can anyone relate?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question about changing due date!

• Options

Honestly, the odds of the baby coming on your due date are pretty slim. I would stick with what your doctor says. You picked him/her for a reason.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My OB says that they change the date if it's anything over 7 days difference.  I do think that's odd that they wouldn't change your date at all, but I guess every office does everything different. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My midwife changed my due date at my second appointment by 2 days.  She said it's best to say "sometime at the end of November, early December", because the due date really has no real life connection.  It's just a way to measure the progress of your pregnancy, but in reality, your baby will come when he/she and your body is ready (unless, of course, you're planning to schedule a c-section or be induced).
  • Options
    milescmilesc member

I could be wrong, but I believe that Drs (majority of the time) will go with the earliest/earlier ultrasounds because babies up until a certain age grow at the same rate. As babies get older, babies grow at their own pace so its harder to actually tell how old they are...

My DD came about 2weeks early, so Im not really taking my EDD into consideration. Baby will come when baby wants, regardless of a date lol. 

Those who don't believe in love at first sight, have never given birth
    Big sister meeting little brother for the first time-
    <a href="http://s326.photobucket.com/albums/k409/YellowMiles/?action=view
  • Options
    My dr said something similar about this.  She said if the ultrasound measurement is within a week of the LMP, she sticks with the LMP.  She seemed like that was completely normal, so I wouldn't worry!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    imagemilesc:

I could be wrong, but I believe that Drs (majority of the time) will go with the earliest/earlier ultrasounds because babies up until a certain age grow at the same rate. As babies get older, babies grow at their own pace so its harder to actually tell how old they are...

I've read this somewhere as well.

• Options

The earliest u/s are the best ones for dating a pg if you don't know your dates. After that the u/s should just show that you are measuring X days ahead/behind (my first 2 usually measured 3-5 days ahead).

Only 5% of babies are born on their due date, so it really won't change your maternity leave. I'm sure HR knows there's a lot of variablity with maternity leave.

One good reason for not changing the date - especially for moving it forward - is that if all of a sudden they're saying you're 1.5 weeks further ahead than you are, then they might want to induce you saying you're "past due" when you're really not. Or if your BP shot up, they might feel that they can take the baby because it's already 38wk when really it's just 36.5wk and needs steroid shots for lung development.

So be glad your OB didn't change it!

The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options

My due date has been changed a couple of time too from 11/10, 11/4, 11/2, and 10/31. I already knew my original due date would be wrong because my cycles are sooo short at 22 days. They started with November 10th, but after my 1st ultrasound at 7 weeks, they settled on 11/2. They say the 1st ultrasound is a good date to judge. Babies can grow at slower or faster rates after that. I have a co-worker that was due earlier this week on Monday. Still no baby. I plan on working until the day the baby comes. Taking two weeks off earlier might drive me nuts just to sit at home and wait for baby to come. And besides my boss did that and took two weeks off earlier that the due date, but the baby ended up coming two weeks later. Babies come early or late on their own time. So we'll all see...

• Options

imagejpeltierphoto:
    My OB says that they change the date if it's anything over 7 days difference.  I do think that's odd that they wouldn't change your date at all, but I guess every office does everything different. 

My dr. goes by the same thing.

Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options

Thank ladies. I guess it's not a bad thing to go by the original due date of 12/8 based on my LMP then 11/28. Makes sense now that you explain the different views on it.

I know that every baby is different and you can't really determine the exact day they will decide to show up. But I do want to take some time off before baby comes, so it would be nice to know how much time I can take exactly if I have an idea of an accurate due date. 

I guess that will put me back on the December 2012 board ! 

Thanks again :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"