Cloth Diapering

Don't get these sizes! (PIP)

OK, I realize I'm probably missing something extremely obvious to the rest of you... but I don't understand how the sizing on covers and AIOs can possibly fit up to 35lbs!!  Can you help explain my stupidity here? :)

The last time I weighed DS was at his 2 month appointment where he was 14 lbs. He is now 3 1/2 months and at least 16 lbs.  He has a 17" waist and 9" thighs and 14" rise as of a week ago.

The only way any of his covers and AIOs seem to fit is on the largest rise setting - and they're quite snug around his thighs! (Leave red marks half the time.)  I do have them set about 2-3 snaps "in" from the widest setting.  Does that considerably widen the thighs?  Is it normal to have the rise on the largest setting so early?

Basically, does this look like an OK fit??

Re: Don't get these sizes! (PIP)

• My DS is about 18 lbs and 6 months old and in the middle rise on his Flips and most of his other diapers. 

It looks like you could definitely take the diaper in the pic down a rise but I could be wrong. What are you stuffing your dipes with? Because that could have something to do with it. Also, from what I've heard, most babies can actually go back down a rise or two once they start crawling and walking because they start to slim down and lose some chunk in their thighs and tummy. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What kind of diaper are you using?  There seems to be a lot of stuff in between his legs.  Are you extra stuffing?  My LO is 13 months and 21 lbs and she is still on the middle rise of her OS diapers.

Honestly, diapers don't all fit the same.  You may need to try a different brand to get a better fit.  I wouldn't worry about the waist settings.  Those change a lot as babies grow.  Heck, I have to adjust differently based on when the last time she pooped was. 

Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • Loading the player...
  • Can't see the pic but my LO is 17 mos and 17 lbs and is on the middle rise for freetimes, grovia aios, tots bots aios and swaddlebees deluxe.

• Its a BG Elemental but I run into the same problem with Flips and Weehuggers where if I lower the rise they seem too tight around his thighs. I'm not stuffing with anything! That's strictly the AIO itself... I guess maybe there is extra space in the crotch area from the rise being too high?
  • imageLizBGood:
    Its a BG Elemental but I run into the same problem with Flips and Weehuggers where if I lower the rise they seem too tight around his thighs. I'm not stuffing with anything! That's strictly the AIO itself... I guess maybe there is extra space in the crotch area from the rise being too high?
    Personally, I think the BG brands are cut to wide for my LO and are not my favorite.  They fit her better now that she is older.  I would try brands that are cut trimmer through the crotch and sit up a little higher.  Swaddlebees, grovia, and FB may be a better fit for your LO.  Can you buy a few used diapers to try out different brands?  That's what I do.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • Great suggestion! I wasn't sure if some WERE cut trimmer through the crotch. I have some swaddlebees 2.0s on order - hopefully they will sit higher and I can use the middle rise. Thanks!!
  • imageLizBGood:
    Great suggestion! I wasn't sure if some WERE cut trimmer through the crotch. I have some swaddlebees 2.0s on order - hopefully they will sit higher and I can use the middle rise. Thanks!!

This made me laugh.  If you stacked 15 different brands on top of each other none of them would have the elastic line up exactly.  There is a lot of variety in how diapers are cut.

• Babies' shapes change dramatically when they start crawling and again when they start walking.  Especially when they are little and their thighs are so thick (nearly touching) they will need a higher rise in a diaper, then as the thighs slim down the rise can be adjusted back down.  Same with the waist - babies get chubby and then slim down.  Typically.  I never had any problems with our diapers and we've potty learned, but, DD is only now 31# and some of her diapers would not have lasted much longer...so even though they are marked OS diapers it's not going to be true for every baby.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageGypsyEsq:
    Babies' shapes change dramatically when they start crawling and again when they start walking.  Especially when they are little and their thighs are so thick (nearly touching) they will need a higher rise in a diaper, then as the thighs slim down the rise can be adjusted back down.  Same with the waist - babies get chubby and then slim down.  Typically.  I never had any problems with our diapers and we've potty learned, but, DD is only now 31# and some of her diapers would not have lasted much longer...so even though they are marked OS diapers it's not going to be true for every baby.

This. My LO was so chunky before he started crawling and walking. I had him at the largest setting on his diapers. Now that he is running all over the place he has really thinned out and he is on a smaller setting. That said, some babies are just bigger and will outgrow one size diapers early on. 

Siggy Badges

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"