Two Under 2
Options

Loading LOs in/out of car

I haven't taken the boys out together by myself yet, but will be very soon.  I'm thinking about logistics for loading them in and out of the car. 

DS1 doesn't always listen to me when I tell him to do something, so I don't think I can trust him to not dart out into a parking lot when I'm getting DS2 loaded.  Because of this I think it might be easier to get DS2 out of the car in his carrier car seat, then bring him over to the other side of the car and set him down next to me while I unload DS1 and walk into wherever we are going by holding DS1's hand and carrying DS2 in the car seat in my other hand.  Then to load them back up it would be the same in reverse - set DS2 next to me while I load DS1 and then get DS2 into the car.

What have you found works best for you?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Loading LOs in/out of car

• Options

When my kids were small, I always got the carseat out of the car first (it was on my side anyway, so it was most convenient), then got my oldest out of the car.

Now that DS is older, I open the door, let him climb up and get into his seat, and then go buckle my youngest in. I get in the front seat, turn around and buckle up his seat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I usually do what you're thinking about except that I hate carrying the car seat around so I put the baby in the sling or whatever and then get the toddler out. When we get back to the car I open his door and let him climb in and go put the baby in and come back. If I'm worried about him getting back out I'll close his door while I put the baby in. I do this because I have a hard time buckling him properly while wearing the baby (unbuckling I can do though).

Another strategy that works for me is that my son loves to crawl under the baby's car seat to climb into his seat, so I just open her door and let him climb under while I'm buckling her and then go put him in. That works really well but I think the novelty is part of it so I don't do it every time. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS1 is generally the 1st one in the car and the last one out. 

If we're at home, I put him in the car and then get DS2 in the car.  Upon destination, DS2 is taken out first and then DS1. 

DS1 is getting better at holding my hand, so we are working on him holding my hand while DS2 is in the infant carrier in my other arm.  

If I plan on wearing DS2, I will put DS1 in the cart and then put DS2 in the ergo.  This is my preferred method for grocery shopping or other stores with carts. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What you just described is exactly what I did when DS was born. Now that both kids are a little older I usually just make DD get in the car, then buckle DS in his seat, and go back and buckle DD in her seat. It's time consuming, but works for us and at least I know everyone is safe.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Don't have to do this until August, but I have had the same thoughts about how it will be done. This was my conclusion as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My kids are 25 months apart, but my oldest is a good listener.  I open his door and tell him to get in.  He does, I close the door.  He climbs into his seat while I walk around and put DS2 in.  Then I walk back around, open DS1s door and buckle him in.

If my kid didn't listen I would do it exactly how you described.

• Options
    I did exactly as u described. They are 1 and 2 now and my oldest is starting to listen better so sometimes I give him a choice to get in first and climb in thru DDs door to get in his seat while I get DD in her seat then back around to him.. I am starting to do this more and more.  I hate getting in and out of the car so much. We do not go anywhere when it's raining!!!!!
  • Options
    First I have to ask how you made it a month without getting out if the house with your kids alone??? I would have gone nuts I think I made it about a week and a half. Second I've found what you describes works well but for stores with carts I park next to the cart return so I can load the kids in and out of the cart right next to my car. Good luck the first time is the harvests after that it's easy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    I do what you described - baby in carrier is first out or last in.  Unless I'm putting DD directly into a shopping cart or stroller right next to the car.  Then it doesn't matter who's first.

DD february 2010 | DS october 2011

*please excuse my typos, bumping from my iphone*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"