September 2012 Moms
Options

Doula or no doula?

I am one of those women trying to decide which type of child birth classes to take and if I should hire a doula or not. My husband is a seminary student and will be doing a 9 week internship in Canda this week (I will be 34 wks when he returns) so I thought a doula could be helpful during labor since he won't have a great idea of what's going on.

My husband and I are both Paleo (meat, veggies, nuts, seeds, fruits) and have always been into fitness and health. I want to do natural child birth BUT am the biggest whimp on the planet. Can't decide if I should pay for the long natural child birth classes or just take classes from the hospital and see where I go from there? Any wisdom would be helpful since my mother who will be taking classes with me insists that I just get any and all medications to make me comfortable.

PS- Just for fun where would your ideal babymoon be if you could afford it, had the time, and the energy to go?

Mine would be to the Almalfi Coast in Italy

Married to my best friend and mom to Calvin, 18 months old. We are so excited to being having Baby #2 (due on our 4 year anniversary)

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Doula or no doula?

• Options
    For me, I don't see the point.... Saying that, my DH is not scheduled to be out of town during much of my pg..... Is there someone else who can be with you in case you go early???
  • Options

We're taking classes through the hospital and we'll be having a doula. I also am planning an epidural, which my doula completely supports.

We are going on our first babymoon in June, to Santa Barbara. Our second will be three weeks before my due date, in August, to a lake resort in Oregon. I am not sure where I would want to go if I could go anywhere in the world! I think I'd still want the ones we're having. I'm not someone with the travel bug.

Good luck with your decision re: doula, natural vs. medicated birth, etc. I enjoyed a book called "The Doula Advantage" and it helped me personally to realize that I really wanted one.

Married August 14, 2011 Gave birth to our beautiful baby girl on September 17, 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Definitely having a doula. I became a doula after giving birth to my son and seeing what a big benefit it was for me (even though I had a c-section due to breech baby). My doula was one of the first to know that I was pregnant!

A doula will be able to help a lot with coping techniques and encouragement. One of the things I love about doulas is that it is great to have one even with a very knowledgeable/involved partner, because the doula can direct the partner in ways to better help you, and can assist BOTH of you when needed. 

Also, I took a natural childbirth class my first time around (no class this time). I thought it was really helpful and I learned a lot, again, even though I ultimately had a c-section. I felt better prepared for anything.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    skyejoskyejo member

I think that I hold the biggest whimp in history title lol but I did deliver DD med-free.  Getting an epi was never a thought it my mind so even when I was in terrible labor pain I never once thought to ask for drugs. 

I would take the natural childbirth classes.  You will learn a lot and will feel empowered in your decision to forgo the drugs.  I don't know anyone IRL who has delivered naturally so taking a class with other women with my same mind frame was refreshing and encouraging. 

I didn't use a doula with DD and am on the fence about it this time since I already did it once without one.  It definitely can't hurt so I might go ahead and find one who's a good fit. 

Babymoon: anything tropical where I can relax in water---I'm not picky!

• Options
    Probably an UO but I think Doula's are a big waste. I don't need a stranger to encourage me nor do I need gold stars. BUT! If you do, maybe that is something you'll benefit from. I just don't understand the concept of a Doula personally.

image    image

Harper Grace 08.31.12                        Sibling Expected 08.30.15

Aug 2015 - January Siggy Challenge - Fav mean girl from TV/Film

Ellie from CougarTown

• Options

imagenumb3rMel:
    Probably an UO but I think Doula's are a big waste. I don't need a stranger to encourage me nor do I need gold stars. BUT! If you do, maybe that is something you'll benefit from. I just don't understand the concept of a Doula personally.

I'm not at all offended if you don't think a doula is for you, but if you are curious to hear more of what a doula offers besides encouragement (and I don't give out gold stars), I'd be happy to tell you. :)

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    JoJo507JoJo507 member
    imageskyejo:

I would take the natural childbirth classes.  You will learn a lot and will feel empowered in your decision to forgo the drugs.  I don't know anyone IRL who has delivered naturally so taking a class with other women with my same mind frame was refreshing and encouraging. 

This, all of this! I recently started my natural childbirth class and it has already proven to be invaluable. As for the doula, if you are sure that your husband will be "behind" when labor approaches, you would probably benefit greatly from a doula. Btw, if you're a reader (and haven't already) you should check out books written by Ina May Gaskin. It might help you make a decision about natural birth!

Babymoon- I would love to visit Portland...

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

YAY Paleo! My husband and I also eat Paleo but I added dairy back in for this pregnancy.  My husband is currently deployed and he will be back a few weeks before my due date so he won't be able to make it to any of the classes through the hospital.  My mom is coming with me to the classes that I signed up for and she will be in the delivery room with me.  I looked into Bradley Method classes but I just don't think I can commit to classes for 12 weeks.  I am planning on a natural birth and it is really important to me but I don't feel like i need a doula.  My sister had all three of her children naturally and did it on her own so I feel like I can too.

Best of luck!  

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Personally, I cannot imagine anyone in the room with me other than my SO and the medical staff.  So for me, no doula.  I have not done any reading on the issue however and will research it now that you've put it in my brain. :o)  I am currently reserving the right to the epidural but hope to do it naturally and without drugs.  I need to get reading on that too.

Our first babymoon is coming up and we are going to Turks and Caicos.  We love it there. My boyfriend and I love all the watersports but my doc has limited me to swimming and floating only.  I don't know why snorkeling is out and I forgot to ask why so if anyone knows, do tell.  Our other babymoon is next month and we are staying at my parents cabin in Big Bear.

• Options
    We're having a doula.  I was going to have a home birth also..cant now but anyhow, but our doula is a home and hospital doula so I'll be taking the au natural route, lol.  if you have questions about it, most doulas offer a free consultation so you can talk their ear off and find out just what you really want from them or how they do things.
  • Options

imagenumb3rMel:

Yea, I don't think you do if you think their purpose is to give gold stars.

I did hire a doula. Childbirth terrifies me at times and I feel a lot more confident I can give birth naturally with her help. I don't think a doula is for everyone, but it is the right decision for us.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all the info, it has been most helpful

Married to my best friend and mom to Calvin, 18 months old. We are so excited to being having Baby #2 (due on our 4 year anniversary)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It's not for me.  I trust DH more than anyone else for support and encouragement, and my OB more than anyone else for my medical care, and I don't feel like I need another advocate to help me make decisions or voice them.  I also would prefer to have an epidural for pain management, and don't have a specific birth plan in mind, other than getting LO out safely.  I would of course prefer to avoid induction, pitocin, or a c-section, but if any of those things happens, I won't feel like I missed out on a specific birth experience I was hoping for.  I would be interested in learning some more pain management techniques to avoid an epidural for longer, but I'm not willing to pay that much money for it when I can just buy some books.
  • Options
    imagemands629:

imagenumb3rMel:

I love how we have such opposite views on this whole birthing/child raising thing, but for some reason you are one of my favorite bumpies... Maybe a FFFC, but I think I have a bump crush!

Right back at'cha! Opposites attract.

image    image

Harper Grace 08.31.12                        Sibling Expected 08.30.15

Aug 2015 - January Siggy Challenge - Fav mean girl from TV/Film

Ellie from CougarTown

• Options
    UnemUnem member

I'm getting one.  We're going the birth center route, and since there won't be much pain medicine around, I'm doing everything I can to prepare for a med free natural birth.  There's only so much I can learn in the birthing classes, and although my husband may do a great job in keeping me focused mentally, he's not trained in massage, accupressure, and other natural pain remedies.  My doula will also come home with us and get us settled, then do some basic chores and make us some meals.  She comes back a few times to check on how breastfeeding is going, etc.

Emilia Antoinette
    10.03.12 at 41w5d Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you're on the fence, try interviewing a few doulas. We had met with three, then met a fourth last night and were so blown away with what a perfect fit she is for us. Many doulas are also childbirth educators, and have seen a ton of births. I trust my husband, and he's super involved and reads a ton, but neither of us has done this before, and even if we had, every birth is different. This woman knows what specific cues to look for to help support me and help my husband support me. She has a depth and breadth of knowledge that we don't. Keep your mind open and talk to a few - you might be pleasantly surprised!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

we are going to hire a doula.

We interviewed two doula and the first one charges much less than the second one, but the second one is much more experienced.

Just during the interview, we could tell a whole lot difference between the two doula. The first doula just mentioned that she would comfort me, which is not much help because my husband can do that job too. But the second one tells me about techniques that helps during the birth.

Also, it depends on  your budget.

Hence, if your budget allows you to hire a doula, I recommend you to do so, and interview a few. Babycenter has a bunch of complete interview questions

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"