Breastfeeding

What worked for you to increase your milk supply?

Went to LO's 1mo appt and we realized he is back to his birth weight. So disappointing! I then went to a lactation nurse twice within 24hrs, we did the weigh-feed-weigh and he's only getting about 3/4ths - 1oz from me. Poor little guy.

Now I'm taking mother herb pills 4x a day, pumping every 2hrs, and supplementing with formula what I'm not making. Once in a while I can get 2oz out of a pumping session, but it's not consistent. 

I'm giving him 2.5oz of breastmilk+formula 9 times a day now.

What has worked for you to increase supply and how long did it take?

TTC#2: 8/17/14 // BFP: 9/5/14

TTC#1: 7/30/11 // BFP: 8/22/11
DS: Carson Robert 4/29/12

Re: What worked for you to increase your milk supply?

• I don't know if you have the time/access, but acupuncture worked for me. I don't know if my situation was different because it was recently (my supply was established but took a hit), and I went twice in a week (along with taking Fenugreek) and I thought it helped immensely. My accupuncturist told me it can work wonders for low supply.

Also which I'm sure you already know, but put that baby to your breast every chance you get, let them comfort suck and cluster feed. If you still have to supplement fine, but supply is based on demand.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I drank mothers milk tea and pumped 3-4x daily.  I also let him nurse on demand which sometimes meant comfort nursing.  He just wanted the boob, not necessarily because he was hungry.

Edit:  Sorry, I forgot to mention that all this improved within one week.  I had a weighed feeding with my LO about 1.5 weeks after the first one and he regained his birth weight and a little more.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Fenugreek, mother's milk tea, pumping after every feeding, feeding on demand, lots of water
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelaura.noel:
    Fenugreek, mother's milk tea, pumping after every feeding, feeding on demand, lots of water

This! I also drank red raspberry leaf tea.  Made 1 pot with 1 bag of mother's nursing tea and some red raspberry leaf so I didn't have to drink 6 cups/day.  I drank 3 cups this way and LOTS of water...probably about 4-5 liters at least.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • valzeevalzee member

Oatmeal! I see a noticeable difference on the days I don't have a bowl in the morning. The Kashi instant oatmeal seems to work well, it's pretty hearty. I also drink mother's milk tea and I believe that helps a bit, too.

• I know my situation is somewhat unique, (neck/chest radiation and lymph node biopsies from deep in my right armpit) but I have seen a slight increase in production since I found out I was hypothyroid and got started on thyroid meds to correct it. Turns out having a low-functioning tyroid can really effect things in the breastmilk dept. Still not quite enough, so I supplement, but an increase none the less. GL!
  • I know the naturalist mommy's won't like me for this but - vanilla icecream.  I was never able to achieve a latch and so I pump and feed. I know exactly how much I produce and exactly what effects it. A few tablespoons of icecream a couple hours before my last pumping before bed make the difference between 4 oz and 6-7 oz. Not sure why that is the case but it is.  I am not one of these eat the world while you are breastfeeding people but I do believe if you are craving something you should figure out what your body is telling you.  For me a slight sugar increase works.
  • Another bumpie on here (can't remember who) recommended More Milk Special Blend by Motherlove.  I just started taking them today.  I ordered them on Amazon and the reviews are amazing. 
  • I pumped for 2-3 minutes every time after I was done feeding him (immediately after). This stimulates more production. I think I did it for 3 days + occasionally for a week or two. i also did fenugreek but only for a couple of weeks. Carefull though, I ended up with an oversupply which causes a bunch of problems. I normally eat oatmeal every morning and have heard that helps but who knows. Good luck!
  • kel716kel716 member

Feeding on demand is the best thing you can do.  Let your little one use you as a pacifier. 

Oatmeal, tons of water, eating protein

When you pump, utilize heating pads and massage/compression.  https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html  This video was extremely helpful along with the other links on that page. 

Make sure you're taking your PNV, and an occasional beer is rumored to help too. 

• kms34kms34 member

Tons of water...100oz +

Lactation cookies

Oatmeal

If I eat oatmeal for breakfast and drink a ton of water I notice a difference by the afternoon. 

I had a huge dip a few weeks ago so I made lactation cookies.  I ate 4 or 5 one afternoon/evening and woke up engorged and overflowed my pump bottles the next morning.  So they definitely work!

* DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
  • Lots of boob time, lots of water, fenugreek, oatmeal and lactation cookies, all make a noticible difference for me
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lost our first angel, 10/24/08 7w6d
    Proud mama to Cameron
    Lost our second angel, 2/16/11 8w
    Proud mama to Melanie
  • imagekel716:

When you pump, utilize heating pads and massage/compression.  https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html  This video was extremely helpful along with the other links on that page. 

Wow, that was a great video!  Thanks so much for sharing it!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"