Cloth Diapering

sun bleaching, what to do in the winter?

Our baby is due in mid october, right before the cold weather and then snow strike.

I know the sun is great for bleaching out stains but what do you do when temperatures reach freezing and sun is scarce?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: sun bleaching, what to do in the winter?

• I asked this question a little while ago too! Everyone said to still put them out in the sun when you can (it's the sunshine that bleaches them - not the warmth) then I believe everyone said that you can pop them in the dyer for a bit to soften them up :)

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagengarden01:
    I asked this question a little while ago too! Everyone said to still put them out in the sun when you can (it's the sunshine that bleaches them - not the warmth) then I believe everyone said that you can pop them in the dyer for a bit to soften them up :)

oh perfect, thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Our LO was born in October as well. :) I washed and line dryed my diapers as usual...but when I had stained ones,  I would set the drying rack in front of a sunny window and put the diapers with stains on the side facing the window. They still dried inside (especially when over a heating vent) but got the bleaching effects of the sun! You can also line dry them beforehand, then just wet the parts that are stained with a little water with your hands and put them in a window/outside. Just remember, putting anything stained in the dryer first sets the stains and makes it MUCH harder to get out. However, I haven't really had this problem with diapers. Only clothes.
    Proud mama to Rylee Quinn, born 3 months early at 28 weeks. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • tjkdlhbtjkdlhb member
    I just put them by the window anyway...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Even on cloudy days you can get a sunburn and you can still sun your diaper stains out.  It's the UVA/B rays that get rid of stains.  You may just need to sun them more than once to get rid of all the stains.

Sometimes, I lay them on the dashboard of my car on a towel.  I can't hang them in the window because we have a UV filter on our windows. 

Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • imageericaandzac:
    Our LO was born in October as well. :) I washed and line dryed my diapers as usual...but when I had stained ones,  I would set the drying rack in front of a sunny window and put the diapers with stains on the side facing the window. They still dried inside (especially when over a heating vent) but got the bleaching effects of the sun! You can also line dry them beforehand, then just wet the parts that are stained with a little water with your hands and put them in a window/outside. Just remember, putting anything stained in the dryer first sets the stains and makes it MUCH harder to get out. However, I haven't really had this problem with diapers. Only clothes.

I didn't realize that it works if it's just by the window! I'll be doing this for sure.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"