Breastfeeding

LO sent to nursery or room with you (Poll Clicky)

Trying to see if sending the baby to the nursery actually affected people's breastfeeding experiences.[Poll]
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: LO sent to nursery or room with you (Poll Clicky)

• Why do you think it affected your ability to BF?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • She roomed with us but was 4 weeks early so that contributed to our breastfeeding issues, not where she slept.  
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO went to the nursery one night I think.  It may have been two, I don't remember.  My DH went home one of the nights and since I wasn't able to get around well and on pain meds, they took him to the nursery.  We are breastfeeding successfully right now.  They brought him to me to nurse and he was with me all day for plenty of skin to skin.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • The hospital I delivered at doesn't even have a nursery, other than the NICU. All well babies room-in.
  • Technically I was at a birth center and we were home the night she was born so there was no nursery to send her to. But I figured that was irrelevant to the poll.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • blush64blush64 member

There's no option for nursery in the hospitals where I live. (none I've heard of) I had my kids years back but they roomed with me. (and everyone I know who has had kids has also had their babies in the room with them as well) I didn't know some places did that for babies other than those who needed special care.

EDIT I had no issue nursing. A cousin had trouble nursing but not due to sleeping arrangements.

• I sent LO to the nursery the second night so I could sleep. It didn't really matter, the hospital was very supportive of BFing and brought her to me when she was making feeding cues.

• Oh darn I'm stupid... I thought you meant at home. Why was I thinking that... My little one had to go to the nursery for severe jaundice. I do think it would have been a lot easier to BF her if she had been in my room because I could hardly walk, and could not see her. I was on a schedule to come in every 2 or 3 hours and getting up to go to the nursery when I was that tired and sore made it really difficult. Plus it was less intimate breastfeeding in the nursery with all the other babies and being able to see her would have let me go by her ques. I think being around your baby in the very beginning would help with initial bonding, and therefore maybe milk supply. I would be in the... nursery and struggled category.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think sleeping arrangements have anything to do with breastfeeding success.  I gave birth at a very breastfeeding friendly hospital.  They had a nursery but they strongly recommended that babies room in with you.  When we went for the hospital tour, someone asked to see the nursery and the head nurse said, "Well, I can show you the nursery but there aren't any babies in there."  DD didn't leave my room for anything.  They did her hearing test, heel prick, weight checks, etc. in my room.   The hospital also didn't do any bottles or pacifiers.  They had me do skin to skin.  The second DD was born, they placed her on me and she did not leave my chest for 2 hours so we could start breastfeeding.  They had LC consultants come to see you.  There really was a lot of support for breastfeeding.

I feel like I did everything right and DD is 2 months old and we have been struggling since day one with breastfeeding.  We've had latch issues, weight gain issues, low supply issues, etc.  I really think some women are just lucky and breastfeeding just works out for them.  There are some things with breastfeeding that are just out of your control. 

• A2009A2009 member

Hi,

I usually just lurk on this board, but thought I would jump in on this one.  I answered nursery at night and easy time breastfeeding, based on my second child, now almost six months old.   However, my first son also went to the nursery at night and had terrible latch issues.  Both boys were born at the same hospital.  I agree with the previous posters that it didn't seem to matter where the baby slept.  They would bring the baby to me when it was time to feed if he was not already in my room. 

• Our hospital was very supportive of breastfeeding, but they still recommended sending the baby to the nursery so mom can rest.  They brought my son to my every 3 hours (for the start of the last feeding-so more like every two hours) and we had no latch issues. 
  • My hospital doesn't have a nursery for well babies.
  • We did nursery at night (this is back when I thought I was going to be a parent directed schedule feeder) and I think it made the start of our BFing journey harder for a few reasons. I absolutely will be room sharing with our next baby, no questions asked.
    After TTC with IR PCOS:
    April 2011: Metformin 1500mg + Clomid 100mg + Ovidrel + Prometrium = BFP!
    Beta #1 at 14DPO: 197 Beta #2 at 18DPO: 1296
    At 40w6d, our Team Green surprise came by unplanned C-section and changed our lives forever!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I voted yes and struggling.  I struggled the first 2 weeks but now it is pretty easy.  I just thought for the purpose of the poll, the yes and struggling fit better.
    BFP#1 11-26-10 MMC 1-13-11
    BFP#2 6-8-11 Eleanor Beatrice born 2-15-12
    BFP#3 9-4-13 Benjamin Lee born 4-28-14

• imageKaty&KT:
    Our hospital was very supportive of breastfeeding, but they still recommended sending the baby to the nursery so mom can rest.  They brought my son to my every 3 hours (for the start of the last feeding-so more like every two hours) and we had no latch issues. 

This.. My hospital highly recommended sending the baby to the nursery. I don't think where the baby sleeps has anything to do with latching issues. They brought her in every 4 hours to eat

• Ms5586Ms5586 member
    He roomed with us, but wouldn't latch.  So room in or room out didn't matter.  We kept him with us because I wanted to know what he was doing and I wanted him close to us.
  • They strongly encouraged not sending LO to the nursery, so DS stayed with us the entire time. He had poor latch, tongue tie... so we were not able to BF. I don't think where he slept had anything to do with how successful or unsuccessful you are with BF.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"