Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Well, I guess what better time to wean...

I just got results back I have Group B Strep and will have to go on an antibiotic, thus no breastfeeding and will have to pump & dump.  DD2 is 10 months and I was thinking I should probably start weaning sometime soon anyway.  I'm going to be honest, I'm a little sad.  Is this normal to be sad?  With DD1 I EP, so weaning was a very long process with dropping pumping sessions, etc., but in no way was I sad.  I have quite a bit of a milk supply and will obviously keep pumping until the milk is gone.  I guess I just feel like my baby won't need me anymore and she won't get that happy excited face when it's time to eat!  I guess I'm just emotional.  I can't believe my baby is almost 1!  (This is our last child.)  Thanks for listening.

girls photo zvczv.jpg

Re: Well, I guess what better time to wean...

• Options
    ejagkejagk member
    Double check with the pharmacist before pumping & dumping. The medication you have to take may be safe while BF. The doctors don't always know what is or isn't safe. GL!!
  • Options

I was on antibiotics for a sinus and ear infection for 10 days and was told it was perfectly fine to continue breastfeeding. They do give babies antibiotics when they are sick and I am sure what they get from that would be much more than what they would get it your milk. 

If you are not ready, I bet your LO is not either. It is perfectly normal to feel sad, so don't give up if you don't have to! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemullenem:

imageejagk:
    Double check with the pharmacist before pumping & dumping. The medication you have to take may be safe while BF. The doctors don't always know what is or isn't safe. GL!!

This!  check before pumping and dumping.  And yes, it's normal to be sad about weaning.  I'm in the process of weaning now and it is sad but also freeing...weird mix of emotions going on here.

Just checked with the pharmacy and what they prescribed is not safe to take while BF.  So, I will call the dr in the mroning and see if I have any other options.  I planned on a year anyway, so I guess I'm only cutting it short by a month and she will still be getting BM. 

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• Options

Ditto what everyone else said.  I've been on antibiotics twice and DS has been on multiple antibiotics for chronic ear infections.  There should be something you can safely take.

• Options
    I would also check with infant risk and/or a lactation consultant.  I feel that most doctors and pharmacists know nothing about breastfeeding. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I would make the doctor give you a bf safe antibiotic!! I've taken antibiotics while bf.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagemgr427:
    I would make the doctor give you a bf safe antibiotic!! I've taken antibiotics while bf.

They originally prescribed penicillin, however I am allergic so they had to prescribe something else.  The penicillin would have been safe to BF. 

girls photo zvczv.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"