High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Do you mind if I join you? Sorry, kind of long

Hello.  I would love to join you if you will have me.  DH and I have one healthy DD who was conceived relatively easily, within 4 months.  I had a complication free pregnancy with her and she is now 4 years old.  Our experience for our second child has been totally different.  First, it took us 2 years to become pregnant with her and we had actually thrown in the towel on becoming pregnant and moved on to adoption when I found out I was pregnant.  Everything seemed to be going smoothly for the first 17 weeks of pregnancy.  At 18 weeks I got the flu (H1N1) and strep throat at the same time.  I took tamiflu and got better.  At 19 weeks I had my a/s and that is when the trouble started.  I am not sure if any of it is related to the flu, but sometimes I just wonder.  Anyway, at the 19 week ultrasound they found a cyst that they thought was in the intestines.  I went through several ultrasounds and finally had to go to maternal fetal medicine at the hospital to have a better u/s done.  There they found that it is a choledochal cyst which is on the bile duct of the liver.  This is very rare in Eurpoean countries (anywhere from 1:100,000 to 1:2 million live births), but is much more common in Asian countries (1:1,000 in Japan).  We are not Asian so I just found that interesting.  I guess we should play the lottery or something.  Due to the cyst they have been doing regular u/s to make sure that it is not changing.  Today they told me that they are sending me back for another u/s at mfm because now they are worried about the baby's growth (possible iugr or sga).  DH and I are both small so I am hoping that the baby is just small due to genetics, but it is so stressful to have them continue to find things to be concerned about.  If anyone has gone through either of these complications in pregnancy I would love to hear your stories.  I am looking forward to getting to know all of you and cheering each other on to full term deliveries!  Sorry this got so long!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do you mind if I join you? Sorry, kind of long

• Options

I don't have much advice to offer.. just wanted to welcome you to the board and let you know I'm sending lots of T&Ps that your next ultrasound just confirms LO being just a wee bit smaller, and not IUGR or SGA!

Keep us posted once you've had your next appointment!  When is it scheduled for?

Thinking of you guys!!

Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • Options
    KadyraKadyra member

How stressful! And you are most welcome here. 

We had IUGR less than 1% with DS. Lots of growth scans, twice weekly testing, dopplers, etc. my doctors appointments were almost a full time job! Good thing I was on bed rest- for the iugr and an abruption. Bummer, but we do what we must. They never figured out what the iugr was from. Lots of theories though! Iugr can go smoothly and you just end up with a scrawny little squirt, like our ds. Or it can be awful-- ending with very early delivery and lots of anxiety. It's pretty much a crapshoot.

As for your other issue, that is truly a rarity! I worked at two referral centers that saw some really funky stuff, but nothing like that when I was a resident or now I'm out in practice.  Keep us updated! And GL. 

Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you both for your responses and for welcoming me!  My ultrasound at the hospital for the slowed growth is on Thursday morning.  Hopefully they will be able to tell me something then.  DH and I are both on the smaller side, I am 5'2" and he is 5'7" so I am hoping that our baby is just small because we are.  Right now I am 25 weeks and from what I could see on the ultrasound it looked like the baby was measuring at 23 weeks.  The ultrasound tech told me that was the 20th percentile which was still in the normal range, but the doctors seemed worried.  I think it seemed like growth was going at a certain rate and then started to fall off.  I will be sure to update after my appointment, hopefully with good news.
  • Options
    I dont have any advice, but I am crossing my fingers for you! It sounds like you are getting the care you need which is important.
  • Options

Hey there! My D.S. was diagnosed as IUGR and born at less than 1%. We didn't get the news until he was full term, but I know how scary it is to hear that there is a growth problem. My advice is to just try and take information as it comes and not panic.

I went in for NST twice a week and had BPP three times before they decided to go ahead with a c-section (which they did instead of an induction because he was breech). When he was born, he spent two weeks in a special care nursery working on maintaining his blood sugar, gaining weight and some jaundice. He came home a month ago and is growing and thriving (and look how cute he is! so cute!) My blog has a lot more information if you're interested. 

I hope that everything goes well at your upcoming appointment! Keep updating us as you hear more! 

• Options

Mellimo, thank you for the thoughts!

HannahO, thank you for sharing your experience!  That makes me feel better about my situation.  I will find out more tomorrow and hopefully that will help me feel better too.  You little boy IS very, very cute! :)

• Options
     Hi Jenny, Im really sorry about complications your going through.
    I'm high-risk too since week 16 of my pregnancy. What happened was I was scheduled for a normal ultrasound. The ultrasound tech. found that my cervix was short, called my doctor and I had to go see my doctor so she can see what was going on. She saw that my cervix were short too and sent me straight to labor and delivery for two days. They started a NST and gave me a shot on the butt each day on each side, the shot was a steroid shot to help develop the baby's lungs faster just incase she came in early. Then I got another shot on my arm I forgot what it was called but it makes your heart beat faster and stop contractions. Since then I go to the L&D room every week to get monitored, an NST, and BPP. After that everything seemed better with me taking it easy, not going to work, trying to avoid nesting as much as possible, etc. Then two weeks ago my doctor scared me and my fiance half to death when she said that my belly wasn't growing and that I'd have to go in for a deep u/s to check the babys growth. The u/s tech. told us that our baby's in the 33rd percentile and about 3.2 lb. from their u/s measurements and calculations. I'm not too worried now that the doctors reasured that nothings wrong with the baby. She said that I have to go in weekly to L&D until I'm 34 weeks after that she's gonna stop me from going, since I'll start my weekly visits with her!
    Today was not good for me at all! I found out that I've been having contractions. To be honest I did feel them but didnt know what it was until I explained to the nurse what I was feeling, which was like light cramping, that's when she said that it was contractions. My doctor came in to check on me and she was checking on my cervix from the inside and said that she did feel my cervix and that it was too soft! She also felt the babys head. So she told the nurse to get some test done to see if I was going into labor, that came back negative, and to give me a shot in my arm (the one that makes your heart beat faster and contractions slow down). I ended up staying there for 5 hours which is better then them keeping me there for the 23-hour observation the doctor was planning on doing. Hopefully next week when I go in for the NST and BPP and my bi-weekly app. with my obgyn I'll hear some good news! 

To be honest don't worry too much about the babys growth until after the results (Iknow easier said then done) but trust me its better to stress over something to stress about then stress over nothing. My fiance is a big person 220 lbs 5'7 Me on the other hand am small, before pregnancy I weighed 84 lbs. 5'1 now with the prgnancy I'm 117 lbs I've been trying since high school to gain weight but nevr could! Everyone says I have a high motabolism. I haven't even gained anywhere but my tummy butt and thighs! Even my cheeks are fatter which I like cause I dont look like Sally from Nightmare before Christmas lol

Please do update us on your upcoming app! I wish you the best on everything I know what your going through with your cysts stuff my mom had it and my best friend has it now both were on their ovaries! Hopefully everything works out better for you I will pray for you! :)

Sorry my post back is so long!  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My LO had IUGR, and like PPs, we had NSTs, ultrasounds, and BPPs at Maternal Fetal Medicine. My perinatologist put me on baby aspirin (until 36 weeks) and a very high protein diet (from 21 weeks to delivery). My story has a happy ending! LO hit a huge growth spurt, and her IUGR resolved. She was born 6lbs 4oz at 38w3d. She had some pretty severe jaundice, but all is well now. Good luck to you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"