Breastfeeding

Why is my supply tanking?

I used to have a slight oversupply. Baby feeds from one side & always has. The past couple days she never seems full. She always eats more often in the evenings, but now it's happening all day. She went from eating 15 mins on one side & being full to taking BOTH breasts for 30 mins & still rooting around & crying shortly after. 

Baby will be 8 weeks on Saturday. I started the mini pill 1week ago. I started bleeding a few days ago. Period? It seems weird to get it so soon but it's heavy bleeding and I haven't been bleeding for awhile prior to this. My breasts also don't feel engorged anymore, not even when she gives us a 6 hour stretch at night.

Should I wait for this "period" bleeding to stop and see if my supply comes back? Stop the mini pill? Something else? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Why is my supply tanking?

• She could be going through a growth spurt.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My initial thought was a growth spurt too but I wonder what side effects the mini pill has?  I know that's supposed to be a safe one to take while BF'ing but is a possible side effect decreasing supply?  I would maybe check with your Dr on this one.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • imagestemms8810:
    My initial thought was a growth spurt too but I wonder what side effects the mini pill has?  I know that's supposed to be a safe one to take while BF'ing but is a possible side effect decreasing supply?  I would maybe check with your Dr on this one.

I've been on the mini pill since 6 weeks PP. My supply wasn't affected at all. It can cause a dip, but it seems like a rare occurrence. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The mini pill isn't supposed to cause supply issues, but it sometimes does.  My sister's supply totally tanked after three months when she started it.  She was really bummed since she BF'd her first for 18 months.  She stopped it and her supply improved again, but continued with some trouble for a week or two.  It could be coincidence, but anecdotally my NP at the OB office said she had heard similar stories occasionally.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD went through both a 6 week and 8 week growth spurt and did the same thing you're describing.  Her 8 week growth spurt was followed by STTN.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageAmyG*:

8 weeks is not a normal growth spurt time.

Some women are VERY sensitive to the mini pill and it may effect their milk supply if they begin to take it before their supply is well regulated before 3 months.

if it doesn't settle down very soon I would suspect the mini pill.

Just because it's not 'normal' doesn't mean it can't be a growth spurt. Every baby grows at their own pace.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Could be growth spurt, but I would suspect the mini pill to be honest. There are a lot of ancedotal stories about the mini pill affecting supply. Growth spurts typically last a few days, but can go as long as a week. If the next few days continue in the same way I would think it is not a growth spurt but the pill.
    After TTC with IR PCOS:
    April 2011: Metformin 1500mg + Clomid 100mg + Ovidrel + Prometrium = BFP!
    Beta #1 at 14DPO: 197 Beta #2 at 18DPO: 1296
    At 40w6d, our Team Green surprise came by unplanned C-section and changed our lives forever!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"