November 2012 Moms

Going maternity clothes shopping tonight! Advice..?

This is baby # 1 and I'm not sure what to buy! I'm 15 weeks now and things are not fitting the way they used to! Before getting pregnant I lost just over 30 lbs so I still have some tops that fit and will further into the pregnancy. Unfortunately pants aren't the same! I have one pair of dressy (stretchy) pants that fit and will for a little while longer but that's it.

Obviously everyone is different. Different body shape, size, etc.. and babies/bellies all grow different as well but I want to know what you were most comfortable in and what you could have done without. I don't have a ton of money to spend so I want to buy things that will last throughout pregnancy, if possible.
Since we're heading into summer and the heat.. I'm thinking about getting some flowy dresses but I'm not usually a dress person so I don't know!  I don't want to feel more uncomfortable then I have to being 5,6,7 months pregnant plus it being summer! I also don't want to look bigger than I am! Also.. what do you want UNDER those dresses? I dont feel like it'd be enough support further into pregnancy!

I was thinking maternity capris with some cute tops but w/ maternity clothes being so expensive I don't know if it's worth it. Either way I have to buy bottoms so..? 
For those of you that already have kids.. or those just further along.. Did you buy actual maternity clothes or did you stick to regular clothes that would work with a bellaband or something along those lines? Any suggestions/opinions are welcome!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker

Re: Going maternity clothes shopping tonight! Advice..?

• lots of consignment shops have maternity clothes at least in my area i wore sweater dress and dresses and gauchos not  sure of spelling and for shirts i got maternity tanks from kmart and consignment i was due nov 24 last pregnancy and this one hope this helps
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • This is my first, but I'm not buying a ton of maternity clothes. I mostly bought loose tunic style tops in regular stores, they're all in style this summer so it works out well for us who are pg! Also cotton skirts with foldover waists are great b/c you can fold it over now, and when you get bigger just flip up the waistband to cover your tummy. They sell them at Target and Old Navy in normal sizes. You'll pay more for maternity and it's the same exact thing. I bought a couple of loose sundresses without the tight elastic around the waist, more empire waist style ones. You can get maternity spanx to wear under if you want or just regular spanx in a size up.

As for maternity, I went to Motherhood and got a pair of shorts, a pair of denim capris and grey cargo pants that can be rolled up for capris or rolled down for regular pants in the fall. Everything was on sale and I don't plan on buying any more maternity bottoms. I have a bella band to wear with my regular jeans and a friend is giving me her maternity jeans. Also old navy has great maternity tanks and they're affordable. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Consignment shops and goodwill were my first stops last time. I found some things at Target and Burlington Coat Factory for decent prices too. 

I did get maternity bottoms and they were super comfortable. I wore all of them for a few months after having the baby too. Regular bottoms and the Bella band were never comfortable enough to me before and after birth... So it was worth it.  

image Pregnancy Ticker
  • In my opinion regular clothes don't work well when you get big because they aren't longer in the front to accommodate for your belly like all maternity clothes are. I guess this applies more to tops and dresses. Things will ride up in the front with a large belly.

I just wore bra and panties under dresses and it was fine. I also really liked stretchy cotton fabrics. Also, the lower rise/low band bottoms were not comfortable for me after about midway through. I mainly opt for the full band because it is comfortable throughout. You can also fold them down if needed.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • dicer2dicer2 member

I love the Heidi Klum under-the-belly leggings from Motherhood.  I wear them under dresses and tunics.  I liked to buy shirts with ruching that fit well early on, yet will stretch to accomodate your belly at the end.  I was able to wear most of the shirts the whole way through.

Non-maternity shirts were no way long enough for me to wear through my whole pregnancy.  Not enough material!

Last time I bought some demi panel pants but I had to stop wearing them after a while because they would cut into my belly.  I would recommend buying full panel and folding them down if you can get them to fit okay now.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• ansi29ansi29 member

I've done some shopping from my SIL's closet and a local thrift store.  I will head to old navy and target if I need more stuff or perhaps a consignment store.  

I have a really long torso and find that I need maternity shirts to go with maternity pants because none of my shirts are long enough to cover the elastic waistband. Let alone once I start getting a big belly.  

• I just got a pretty good haul from Macy's. I got three pairs of capris, each for 19.99.  I agree with the full panel, way more comfortable, and they will last the long haul.  Old Navy is great for tanks and shirts, you really do want the maternity ones, regular shirts are already getting too short, and I have a ways to go still.  I am still looking for a pair of shorts, other that that I am hopefully done shopping.  Good luck, you will be so much more comfortable when you swith your pants over to maternity, way happier over here!!Big Smile
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • lavet22lavet22 member
    I just hit Old Navy this past weekend, they were having a huge sale.  I don't like maternity dresses, they make me feel/look like a tent, so instead I got a few light flowey skirts and some cute tanks to go with them.  I also really like A Pea in the Pod.
  • Defiantly the full panel for pants. They are so comfy that I want to wear them forever :). It was pretty hard finding maternity clothes there weren't very expensive. I was quite surprised that the maternity clothes section in places were really small, like maybe two racks. I ended up buying at Kohl's and got several work shorts and a pair of slacks. Then I discovered JC Penny and they had several more options (had to go to two different ones before finding the one with bigger options. the ones in the malls have a bigger selection). I got a couple more shirts, a pair of shorts and a pair of capris. The shorts and capris are under belly and they are ok but not as comfy as the full panel pants. Most everything when I went was 15 but since they have that new pricing structure the shorts and capris went up to 20 which isn't too bad. The Duo Maternity shirts they have that are short sleeve and ruched on the sides are nice and I can see wearing those after so I don't feel it's a waste of money for those shirts and want to go get more. They wore for casual and work with slacks or skits for work as well. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My favorite go-to items are things that I can wear postpartum, too. I'm loving maxi dresses and jersey maxi skirts that I find in the (generally less expensive) non-maternity department. They'll grow with me and still be wearable after delivery before I'm back to my pre-pregnancy size. I would suggest getting a couple of basic bottoms (a pair of maternity jeans, a pair of dress pants, and a pair of shorts since we'll all get to endure summer heat in the middle of our pregnancies) and tops that can be dressed up or down -- maximize your wardrobe pieces without maxing out your bank account Smile
    Please pardon any typos -- I'm typically bumping from my phone
    V|V TSP V|V
    imageimageimage
    * Lindsay Chase is going to be a big brother in August! *
  • SALE RACKS!!!! I have been scoring awesome deals... I just left motherhood with 2 pair of jeans and 2 tanks for 60.00.. The jeans were on the clearance racks and another 30% off. The tanks are buy 2 get each for 6.99 right now. They also have good sales on tee's. Watch on here we are always posting when stores have good deals and get them then!!

Allow room to grow.. I dont want to buy clothes the whole time so if they are a little tight in the store now go up a size!!!

Marternity clothes are SO much more comfy and gives your belly room. I will be 16 weeks tomw and my bellaband will be put away. I had it on for a few hours today and could not wait to get it off!!

Also for summer watch the clothes where you will need to layer up (sheer shirts) I have been staying away from them as much as I can even tho some are super cute. But less layers in the heat the better. I have a few for dinner dates etc.. where air will be on and I can layer up. For the most part tho being outside with my other kids less is better!

Most of all HAVE FUN shopping!!

IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • And yes go full panel and roll down if you need to!
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • The one thing I wish I had done when buying my maternity clothes with #1 was getting more nursing-friendly maternity tops. I was still wearing mat clothes until DD was a few months old and it would have been nice to have some things that would accommodate both nursing and a poochy postpartum belly without having to go out and shop all over again.
  • Thanks to everyone who replied!! All great ideas..

I ended up getting 2 pairs of capri's from motherhood for now. They have the full panel and are so comfy I may never take them off!! lol They were on half price and will get me through a while, I hope. I tried on some dressed from other stores but everything was either WAY too long (like dragging on the ground! sales lady said "they're meant to be warn with heals!" in a half snarky tone! No thanks! lol) or so short that they would only last another few weeks. I passed on those for now. I'll see what I can find a little later. Now that I have capri's I can actualy leave the house in comfort! Imagine that.. lol

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"