Working Moms
Options

Promotion!-Whats wrong with me?

Long time LURKER! 

I've been at my job for a year. I love it with no major drama, its the lowest job here but its flexible and has allowed me to take time off for my DS when needed.

I was offered a promotion that will include my own office out of no where this morning,(what i've been dreaming of for years) I'm happy and knew there were opportunities for growth BUT what the HELL??? I'm nervous and if I didn't take the offer i feel like i would look bad. 

If this was anytime before i was pregnant or had a toddler i would jump all over this.  Anyone else take a job not feeling like they knew the 1st thing about the duties?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Promotion!-Whats wrong with me?

• Options
    gwennecgwennec member

Congratulations! You should go for it! I read an interesting stat in working mother mag this month, something about men will go after a new job if they are only 10% qualified while a woman will only do it if she is at least 80%. Ha! I think we tend to overanalyze and worry about all the "what ifs." Men just seem to fake it and do it pretty well. They would not have offered it to you if they didn't think you could do it. And if you are worried about flexibility, then make sure to address that with your new boss. Just b/c you have an office doesn't mean you can't be in a flexible environment.

I work from home and was offered a great promotion right after finding out I was pregnant with DD2. I was really worried b/c it was a totally different job and concerned on how I would manage with having 2 kids. I got over it and thought about whether or not I would go for it if I wasn't pregnant, I knew I would and would have totally regretted not taking it. I am so happy of course will see how things actually go when I return to work from leave. But I will manage.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks for the words!

Wow I have to find that article now!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    PeskyPesky member
    Go for it.  Ask them to spell out what is different from what you are doing today and get a better sense of what the job is.  As a CW advised me when I fretted about a promotion, they clearly like what you are doing now which includes you disappearing to take care of childcare issues and needs so obviously they realize that comes with the turf.  Take the promotion.  

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    carig63carig63 member

How on Earth would taking a promotion make you look bad? And is the only thing that's different having an office of your own?

I can't imagine that you would suddenly lose everything (flexibility, responsibility, etc) that you currently have because you've been offered a promotion. You will probably have more responsibility, but that doesn't mean flexibility flies out the door. They clearly see that you're valuable and want to keep you. That should tell you that you're not going to be chained in the office 10 hours a day. Get more details before you turn it down.

And still: how would accepting a promotion you've been offered make you look bad?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"