Food Allergy
Options

What Brands are safe?

Looks like we have a dairy allergy :( What are some name brands of products that are dairy free? Someone said Oreos...but what other brands than that. I'm looking for ALL sorts of foods...not just snacks

TIA

Z(Monkey) 6-30-07 and E(Bear) 9-6-10 Living life with my little warrior and his big brother :)imageimageimage

Re: What Brands are safe?

• Options

Welcome to the club you never wanted to be part of! You can do this - this board is a great support. I haven't been here long but there are a lot of ladies who have been in this for awhile and are a great resource for info.

Some brands I've picked up along the way:

Enjoy Life is great for chocolate and snacks - they are top allergen free and their facilities are clean.

Smart Balance has a good non-dairy butter spread. I hear that Fleishmen's (sp?) makes a stick butter that is non-dairy but my grocery doesn't carry it.

Almond milk subs pretty well for most recipes (any brand).

Pillsbury has a few non-dairy frostings; you just have to read the can.

A lot of potato chips surprisingly do have dairy - anything with cheese of course, and some of the kettle cooked type ones as well, so always read the labels. The original flavor sunchips don't, and the basic lays don't.

We've got egg and dairy allergies, so I've been looking online for a lot of vegan recipes. Anything labeled vegan will be free of animal products, so all of that should be safe.

Hope this is helpful as a start!

Mom to E, 11/2011 - Severe egg & dairy allergies, soy intolerance *** Stepmom to G, 2001
  • Options
    PP gave you a good start.  I will caution you though - don't ever get compacent about reading labels because an item has been safe in the past.  Companies change ingredients and manufacturing  practices often.  The only way you will know that is to read the ingredient list each and every time you buy it.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Loading the player...
  • Options

In addition to PP-s, here are some of the ones I've liked:

Daiya (cheese substitute)

Rice Dream (cheese substitute)

Follow your heart Vegenaise- most of the versions have soy though.I've used this for salad dressings and everything else.

Newman's own has Oreo like cookies that are dairy free

Amy's Organics (soups, frozen food)

Mary's gone (crackers) 

Some of my favorite blogs:

https://ohsheglows.com/

https://www.healthfulpursuit.com/

https://www.dailygarnish.com/ 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I've found a lot of good information on mspimama.com(milk/soy) & godairyfree.org.

It's hard to say a major brand name (found in non specialty stores) that is dairy free across the board but a lot of them have versions that are dairy free. Stores like whole foods & sprouts will have more specialized options...like I use SoDelicious coconut milk french vanilla coffee creamer that I haven't found in a chain store yet. That company makes a variety of milk substitutes, ice creams, etc that are all dairy free & they taste great (the milk & ice creams can be found at Target/Walmart). I use vanilla almond milk (have tried many brands) in place of milk for cereal, cooking, etc. I use Earth's best as a butter alternative.

I just took the things I know we eat regularly & went through the store checking labels to find a version without dairy.

We're dairy & soy free & I find that avoiding the soy is more difficult than dairy so hopefully you'll still be able to find safe foods fairly easily. Good luck!

Married: '06 - Mom of 3 boys: '08, '11 & '14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"