Breastfeeding

WMs: Can I drop to 1 pump a day but 2 BF sessions on weekends?

Just curious if anyone has experience with dropping down to only one pumping session a day during the work day and being able to nurse 2 times during that same timespan while with LO on weekends.  I normally pump at work around 10 and 3... she takes bottles during these times or nurses when we are together.  I was thinking of dropping to 1 pump session at 12.  I have a very large freezer stash and would pump enough at 12 to cover two bottles so that part is not a concern.  My concern is wondering if my body will have enough milk for her when nursing since it will be an additional session from what I want to do during the week.

FWIW I plan to wean shortly after she turns 11 months and rely on my stash to get her to one year so this plan would only be for about a month and 1/2 or so. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: WMs: Can I drop to 1 pump a day but 2 BF sessions on weekends?

• I work 3 days a week and only have the chance to pump one time while at work (8 hour shift).  I have not seen any drop in my supply from only pumping that one time.  But, like I said I only work 3 days a week and it is never 2 days in a row.  I also nurse totally on demand when we are together and sometimes it is 10x a day.  

Sorry that I am not much help...maybe try it for a week and see how your supply does.  I think it will be fine since your supply is pretty well established at this point and you have a large freezer stash.    

• I weaned from the pump at a year and I continue to nurse on demand at home. The milk is just there for her when she needs it, and I go 12+hrs without pumping at work. My body adjusted quite well.

Your supply may take a hit though, so just watch your LO. If she seems dissatisfied or nurses more frequently, then you can always add back in the pumping session.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Picture114b Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • drpaynedrpayne member
    I stopped pumping at 6 months and had no problem just nursing at night and on weekends.  My body seemed to figure it out.  I did go to DS's day care at lunch to nurse, though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • thanks for the info ladies, I think I will try it out and see how it goes.  It's a nice thought to be reducing my pumping session again, can't wait for it to be over :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I've always only pumped once at work, around noon. DD takes bottles at daycare at about 10am, 1pm, and 4pm. I nurse on demand on the weekends and have never had a problem. I pump when I wake up and get enough for the other 2 bottles. Then I nurse her before I leave.

ETA: I also planning on dropping the work pumping session completely at about 6 months, and letting my freezer stash carry that bottle through the rest of the year.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"