Natural Birth

Placenta Smoothie

How many of you are planning on making a placenta smoothie - or already have made one? Looking into my options and it appears that if you are going to go that route (ingesting placenta) that the raw, fresh approach is where you'll get the most nutritional value/effects.

So - any tips, recipes, etc. you can suggest on having it prepared in smoothie form? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Placenta Smoothie

• My friend did a small one after her last birth b/c of bleeding. I'm having mine encapsulated and getting a tincture done. It'll last a lot longer than fresh, though you could freeze it and cut pieces off. The benefit of fresh is really good for hemorrhage and such.
    Jennifer, wife, CPST, birth Doula, LPN to BSN student, and 3x VBAC mama to AJ (8, Evan (7), Ilana (5),Olivia (2), and 8/24/12!
  • yay for raw ingestion! it really is the best way to go since you lose ZERO nutrition when you eat it raw versus cooking or encapsulating.

i ate mine raw in smoothies. i had probably 2 smoothies on day one and one each day until it was gone. usually, they consisted of:

1/2 greek yogurt

banana

2-3 strawberries (for color, i'm a sometimes vegetarian and was really hung up on the consumption thing)

1/2 cup soy milk

2 tbs of mila (huge amount of omega-3, plus protein, antioxidants and fiber -- get it here: www.lifemax.net/betterhealthnow) soaked in 1/2 cup water for 5 minutes

if there is a 3rd baby, i will probably alternate with one made like a bloody mary with tomato juice, some veggies like spinach or kale, carrots and green pepper and mila and a sprinkle of cayenne!

i share with my HypnoBirthing students a lesson i learned. i had absolutely no BB after my second birth (compared to terrible BB and eventual PPD after #1 - no placenta ingestion with that birth) until the day my DH told me it was all gone. So now i suggest that if someone else is making it for you that you not be told when it's all gone and have a placebo smoothie for a few days instead! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Can you taste the raw placenta in the smoothie?  I have been considering encapsulating it because of the ick factor of eating it raw. 
  • I plan on having placenta smoothies. I don't really have any idea what else I'll put in with it other than the normal smoothie ingredients :) I'll probably just go with whatever sounds yummy at the time.
  • I've pretty much decided on the smoothie method since we can't afford to have it encapsulated and, realistically, I won't want to spend the time encapsulating it myself. DH is very supportive but squeamish and he said he'd try his best to help, but I don't want to put him through that when I can just make a smoothie and do it all myself, fairly quickly, from what it looks like.

I'll probably make a regular fruit and yogurt smoothie with orange juice. I'll use a lot of red fruits just for the psychological impact of it. I'm not too grossed out by consuming it, but I'm pretty big on what my food looks like, so red fruit can't hurt. 

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • imageLindseyJW:

yay for raw ingestion! it really is the best way to go since you lose ZERO nutrition when you eat it raw versus cooking or encapsulating.

i ate mine raw in smoothies. i had probably 2 smoothies on day one and one each day until it was gone. usually, they consisted of:

1/2 greek yogurt

banana

2-3 strawberries (for color, i'm a sometimes vegetarian and was really hung up on the consumption thing)

1/2 cup soy milk

2 tbs of mila (huge amount of omega-3, plus protein, antioxidants and fiber -- get it here: www.lifemax.net/betterhealthnow) soaked in 1/2 cup water for 5 minutes

if there is a 3rd baby, i will probably alternate with one made like a bloody mary with tomato juice, some veggies like spinach or kale, carrots and green pepper and mila and a sprinkle of cayenne!

i share with my HypnoBirthing students a lesson i learned. i had absolutely no BB after my second birth (compared to terrible BB and eventual PPD after #1 - no placenta ingestion with that birth) until the day my DH told me it was all gone. So now i suggest that if someone else is making it for you that you not be told when it's all gone and have a placebo smoothie for a few days instead! 

What is BB?

I'm pretty clueless with this topic of consuming the placenta. What are the health benefits of it? I always thought it was a cultural tradition, not something people do in the US.....clearly I've been living under a rock.... so to speak. Also, what does it taste like? Just curious after reading this post about putting it in a smoothie. I googled pics of human placentas and it looks like someone put it right on a bun to eat it. 

• you can't taste it at all. however, i will be honest, i did get a piece that didn't blend fully (was a little sinewy) and i gagged and spit it out. i'm also not much of a meat eater, so the very idea of eating anything that has sinew on it makes me gag (i might eat a filet mignon, but would never in a million years eat a rib eye).

in hindsight, the strawberries weren't really necessary. there is so very little placenta in each smoothie in comparison to the rest of the ingredients, that you really wouldn't notice. but, like a pp said, for the psychological factor, i'd add them again!

humans are the only mammals that don't routinely eat their placentas. in some cultures, it is the norm, but not most. you haven't been living under a rock! but it is gaining popularity in the U.S., albeit mostly by encapsulation.

BB = baby blues

PPD = post partum depression 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"