Food Allergy
Options

Tolerating foods, but not WCM?

Is it common for LOs to be able to tolerate foods with milk in them, even cheese and yogurt, but not actual WCM to drink? We slowly trialed milk and he handled all of the foods great. I started WCM by adding 1 oz to one of his bottles and super gradually increased it. Yesterday he got 5 oz of wcm and 2 oz of formula and probably 1/2 hr later barfed up curdled looking milk (and of course started playing in it before I noticed, yuck!). He also has had a very slight rash on his cheeks, but I wasn't sure if it was his shots or the milk, but now I'm thinking the milk. Anyhow... just curious if there are other LO's out there who can handle all but milk to drink. Do you find you still have to limit the milk in the foods? 
photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg

Re: Tolerating foods, but not WCM?

• Options
    according to my allergist that is normal. baking changes the chemistry of the proteins in the milk, making it easier to tolerate. actual milk is the hardest for them to break down. i think if he can tolerate in baked, cheese, yogurt..that is a good sign that he will eventually be able to have real milk. 
  • Options

DS1 is pretty much the same.  Can't handle milk, froyo or ice cream, whipped cream, cream, cheese dust on products, etc.

He can eat cheese and regular yogurt, although I notice he has not so obvious symptoms when he eats these.  

His dairy allergy results in hives, but when he eats some of the cooked/baked milk products he has dark circles under his eyes and pimply-looking bumps on his arms.  When I eliminate all dairy across the board, these things clear up within a month.

We just eliminated all dairy from the house.  It's easier for us to all eat the same thing all the time rather than make meals for just DS1.  It's working out well for us. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kms34kms34 member

DS1 is the same. He was diagnosed at age 9 months allergic to dairy.  As he's gotten older he's able to tolerate more.  First it was foods with dairy in it (crackers, etc), then it was cheese, then yogurt, then butter.  He does ok with milk cooked into food but he still breaks out in a rash sometimes.  He absolutely cannot drink cow's milk.  I haven't given it to him even to test it out in over a year b/c he still breaks out from cooked milk once in awhile.  I'm ok with him never drinking cow's milk, he loves coconut and so do I.

* DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"