Cloth Diapering

Looking for opinions on prefolds and covers for newborns

I am about to make my first cloth diaper purchase =) so excited! I have decided to go with prefolds and covers. I have mainly been looking at the GMD prefolds and thirsties xs covers.

What are your favorite prefolds for a newborn? 

Should I be worried about prefolds being super bulky?  

Is it really necessary to get the newborn orange edge, or can I skip to the infant yellow edge (GMD) 

Have you had good luck with the thirsties XS on a newborn? I would like to know about the Bummis covers also (I have heard of the super brite and wisper wrap, I think?) 

Re: Looking for opinions on prefolds and covers for newborns

• I love our GMDs! I don't feel like they're too bulky, but I am used to them. They're definitely more bulky than a disposable. I only have the orange-edge & at first even they were too big for DD. You could skip to yellow, but they'll be super bulky and probably not fit under your NB covers well. For covers, we've liked the Bummis Super Brite (don't like the Whisper Wrap), Thirsties Duo sz 1, and Proraps.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We loved our orange edge GMD PFs.  We used Thirsties xs and Bummis Super Brite NB covers -I liked the Thirsties better.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

DD 1/3/2012
    BFP 5/21/2013 MC 5/24/2013
    BFP 7/16/2013 EDD 3/27/2014
  • Loading the player...
  • My son came home at 5.5lbs and we used gmd orange edge prefolds and Bummis super brite xs covers for 8 weeks. The yellow edge were way too big.  
    dx MF & FF IF
    Off B.C. Jan '06, started charting Feb '08, 2% morphology and PCOS, no O with meds,
    IVF w/ICSI only option to conceive.
    Licensed Foster Parents 07.11
    Miracle BFP 7.20.11 1st beta 6,274! EDD 3.17.12
    Miracle Baby born March 5, 2012 . 6lbs 1oz, 19 3/4"
    Miracle BFP #2 10.8.12 - edd 6.20.13

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • My LO is 7.5 lbs, 6.5 lbs at birth, and there is no way we could be using yellow GMD's. We love our nb prefolds, along with thirsties duo size 1, bummis super whisper wrap, and RaR nb cover.
    April 2012 Mamas Blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Look! I put the diaper on the baby! image Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest

• We bought the Imagine SmartFit Prefolds from Nickisdiapers.com.  They are the same sizing as the GMD's but cheaper (a big YAY in my book).  They are really absorbent and I highly recommend them.  The newborn covers we had were the Thirsties XS, Rumparooz newborn cover, and two Thirsties Duos size 1.  They were all ok, but my favorite was the Rumparooz.  All had aplix except for one duos and I feel like the snaps did not make the diaper quite narrow enough for my leaner baby.  So I recommend aplix for newborn but snaps for later.  I got some of my stash at nickisdiapers.com and some at jilliansdrawers.com.  I thought Jillians had good prices on their used covers from their trial programs...nice prices for something that had HARDLY been used at all.  All my newborn covers are still in excellent condition.  (If you buy from them get the stuff in "fair" condition because they really are in excellent condition but cheaper.  Maybe a little staining but it usually washes right out.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I suggest at least a dozen orange edge (or equivalent size), if your baby is too large to wear the prefold folded you can always trifold or use later as inserts or burp rags.  DD was 7.15 at birth and still work orange edge for the first month (in addition to KLOs and BG XS fitteds).  We used Bummis Super Whisper Wrap, Prowraps and Bummis Super Brites.  I thought they were all fine.  Didn't really have a preference.
  • We love GMD orange edge prefolds and thirsties xs covers for the newborn stage.

Yellow edge prefolds will be way too big on a newborn.  DD was 7lbs. 6oz. at birth and we are just now at 2 months old switching her over to the yellow edge.

• I would go with the larger size - I found it wasn't a big deal to fold the prefold a little bit more in order to fit in the cover.

We like the thirsties duo wraps - the snaps have held up better than the velcro.  We only use the velcro at night to make changes easier.  The Bummis Super Brite are good too - but NOT the whisper wraps - those are bulky/stiff and always seem damp.  We've just tried the Rumparooz covers - equally good - but more expensive than Thirsties b/c they are onesize.  I liked the two sizes that Thirsties offers - I feel like the fit was better.

hope you're using a Snappi to secure the prefold in place.

• Its funny, I actually JUST made a youtube video comparing GMDs to Imagine Smartfits like PP mentioned. Will link once its uploaded. Also, I hated the Whisper wraps!!! Super bulky, even on my chunkster!
  • For covers, I really liked the NB bummis superbrite and xs thirsties.  I hated the duos, they were too big and the rise snaps were always coming undone.  I'm really interested in the BB mini coveralls if we have another baby.

There was no way to put infant sized PFs on our LO.  We used NB sized (unbleached organic Indian) PFs until she was around 10 weeks.  We still use the PFs today as wipes, drool rags, doublers, clothing protectors (laid between her onsie and a messy bum).  The are worth the price unless you think you will have a large baby.

DD2 was 6 lbs, 5 oz at her lowest weight. 

Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • imagekris_kelsey:
    We bought the Imagine SmartFit Prefolds from Nickisdiapers.com.  They are the same sizing as the GMD's but cheaper (a big YAY in my book).  They are really absorbent and I highly recommend them.  The newborn covers we had were the Thirsties XS, Rumparooz newborn cover, and two Thirsties Duos size 1.  They were all ok, but my favorite was the Rumparooz.  All had aplix except for one duos and I feel like the snaps did not make the diaper quite narrow enough for my leaner baby.  So I recommend aplix for newborn but snaps for later.  I got some of my stash at nickisdiapers.com and some at jilliansdrawers.com.  I thought Jillians had good prices on their used covers from their trial programs...nice prices for something that had HARDLY been used at all.  All my newborn covers are still in excellent condition.  (If you buy from them get the stuff in "fair" condition because they really are in excellent condition but cheaper.  Maybe a little staining but it usually washes right out.)

I haven't heard of either of those websites, I am most definitely going to check them out! Thanks!

• imageLizBGood:
    Its funny, I actually JUST made a youtube video comparing GMDs to Imagine Smartfits like PP mentioned. Will link once its uploaded. Also, I hated the Whisper wraps!!! Super bulky, even on my chunkster!

That would be awesome!!! Cant wait to see it =)

Seems like a lot of people aren't fond of the whisper wrap, thank you for the heads up.

• Thank you ALL so so so much! This feedback has really helped me decide. I am expecting a 7-8lb baby so I am going to get the orange edge to start. I am going to skip the whisper wrap, as a lot of people mentioned not liking it. I will stick to the thirsties xs and bummis super brite for the newborn stage. Thank you again! =)
  • imageK Swerd:

imageLizBGood:
    Its funny, I actually JUST made a youtube video comparing GMDs to Imagine Smartfits like PP mentioned. Will link once its uploaded. Also, I hated the Whisper wraps!!! Super bulky, even on my chunkster!

Seems like a lot of people aren't fond of the whisper wrap, thank you for the heads up.

Here you go!  Please, uh, ignore my babbling. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iraC4ceyTTw

• Liz, what a great video! Thank you so much for taking the time to make it and compare the prefolds and quality. This week I ordered Thirsties Duo Wraps and I was waiting to order a dozen GMD prefolds because we had so many emergency expenses come up. We are going to start CDing and I heard great things about prefolds. I was curious about the quality of the Smartfits and it was helpful to see your video so thanks again! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLizBGood:
    imageK Swerd:

imageLizBGood:

Here you go!  Please, uh, ignore my babbling. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iraC4ceyTTw

Great video, thank you for sharing =)  I'm super excited about the smart fit prefolds, so glad you ladies introduced  me to them! 

• imagekris_kelsey:
    We bought the Imagine SmartFit Prefolds from Nickisdiapers.com.  They are the same sizing as the GMD's but cheaper (a big YAY in my book).  They are really absorbent and I highly recommend them.  The newborn covers we had were the Thirsties XS, Rumparooz newborn cover, and two Thirsties Duos size 1.  They were all ok, but my favorite was the Rumparooz.  All had aplix except for one duos and I feel like the snaps did not make the diaper quite narrow enough for my leaner baby.  So I recommend aplix for newborn but snaps for later.  I got some of my stash at nickisdiapers.com and some at jilliansdrawers.com.  I thought Jillians had good prices on their used covers from their trial programs...nice prices for something that had HARDLY been used at all.  All my newborn covers are still in excellent condition.  (If you buy from them get the stuff in "fair" condition because they really are in excellent condition but cheaper.  Maybe a little staining but it usually washes right out.)

I did some research on the Rumparooz they seems like a great cover and are a great price =) Also, sticking with the aplix for newborn covers. yay, CD make me so excited hehe

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"