Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

At a loss.

I am at a loss anymore. I think my milk makes my baby miserable.

I FF my oldest and he was very happy and content during the times he was awake, I was able to put him down on his play mat or in his swing.  He did have a fussy period at night, but it was short lived. 

With my DD she is miserable 95% of the time she is awake. I feed her, burp her & change her diaper, then if I go to put her down= WAHHHH!!! I can't put her down when she's like this. She just wants to be held. I notice during these periods of fussiness she spits up what looks like milk curds. Nothing too extreme but curdy milk comes up in her mouth. I can't help but think she might do better on formula? Perhaps this is not true, but I am thinking if formula is thicker in might sit in her stomach better? I don't think she has a milk allergy, no bloody stools. I haven't eaten anything too gassy. This has been going on since she was 3 weeks old. Don't get me wrong we do have our good days occasionally, that's usually when I can spend the time holding her all afternoon, but I have a 2 1/2 year old and it's not always possible. Today was a bad day, I found myself in tears several times.

So anyhow, here are some of things I am thinking of trying, please tell me your advice.

1: try pumping and feed her the milk in a Dr. Brown's bottle (in hopes to reduce air intake)

2: try some formula

3. try mylicon or gripe water at every feeding

4. stop eating dairy even though like I said she hasn't had any bloody stool.

WWYD??? 

Re: At a loss.

• Options
    So my DS was the same way! I am FTM and thought what am I doing wrong?He always wanted to be held and would scream if not feeding or sleeping. He was so miserable. I changed my diet, did gas drops, gripe water and lots of tummy rubs. This started at two weeks and went all the way to his two month appt. I talked to his pedi and turns out he had acid reflux! He told me to resume my old diet, feed him at an angle or if possible sitting(my hoppy pillow came in super handy at this point) and keep him upright for 30 to 45 minutes after feeding. It was like I had a whole new baby! No more gas drops or gripe water, I eat dairy and he is one happy baby boy! Check with your pedi that might be the problem :) good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're having difficulties.  If it were me I would definitely continue with the breast milk as long as you can.  From what I gather in your post the actual breastfeeding is going alright, correct?  The frustration is that she is fussy.  Some babies are just fussier than others and since your first was a pretty laid back baby it may seem like dd is even more fussier.  Also having ds to chase after may make it more stressful dealing with dd's constant needs.  You said it started when she was 3 weeks, how old is she now?  And how often does she spit up?  Is it after every feeding or just during a fussy period of the day?  Did anything change in your routine at the 3 week mark like dh going back to work? I exclusively pump - my DD was in the NICU for a few days and we weren't able to attempt breastfeeding until day 5.  At that point we had latch issues and it was just easier for us to continue with the pumping routine since I will have to pump when I return to work next week.  I'm not sure if it's true but I was under the impression that breastfed babies didn't have issues with taking in air like bottle fed babies do..... So as long as the actual process of breastfeeding is going good I wouldn't start pumping unless you were wanting to switch to that in the long run.  If she's spitting up at every feeding it wouldn't hurt to cut back on dairy to see if that has an impact on her or not.  I don't have any experience with using gripe water so I can't help you there.  Maybe talk to your doctor to see if she has any other suggestions or if there is an underlying medical issues like reflux that could be causing LO so much discomfort.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Maybe she has reflux?

If not, have you read " The Wonder  Weeks"? If she's fussy and 4-5 weeks it could be a growth spurt.... 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

sounds like reflux. my lo has silent reflux and once i googled symptoms he had a lot more than i knew about. he's been on zantac a few weeks and is much happier.

since there's no blood i wouldn't change your diet or go to formula- if it is reflux it will still happen. try to keep the baby upright after feedings and ask the dr for some reflux meds.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"