December 2011 Moms

Sleep training, round two- much harder this time!

DS has been sleep trained (Ferber) since about 3 1/2 months. Before sleep training, he was crying for hours every night before falling asleep. It was terrible and I was exhausted from hours of rocking, shushing and nursing to sleep. It took just two nights of crying 5-10 minutes and he became SO easy to get to sleep... just lay him down, kiss and walk away and he was out. 

He was right about to begin rolling back to belly, so last week I tried to wean the swaddle. His naps went from 4-45 minute naps daily to NONE in his crib and he was up every hour at night. I stuck to it for three days, and then retreated back to the swaddle. He was back to his normal excellent sleep habits. 

Yesterday he rolled for the first time during playtime, and tonight he rolled while in his swaddle and FREAKED out. I was outside with his monitor, and I freaked out a bit too and the swaddle is GONE. I know it is going to be a transition, but hearing him cry now is MUCH harder than before. :( I know he is uncomfortable (not in the swaddle) and keeps knocking the paci out now that his arms are free. 

How many nights did it take your child to normalize sleep after the swaddle was gone? I don't have hope for much sleep considering I did 3 days last week, and it was miserable... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

February 2011- M/C
March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
October 2013- BFP- M/C

Re: Sleep training, round two- much harder this time!

• jvg6909jvg6909 member

UGH. A started sleeping unswaddled in her crib about 5 wks ago. It did not start out well at all, then she got sick and was really congested so we moved her back into her RockNPlay for a few weeks until she was better. She was still unswaddled but slept great in there. We finally moved her back into her crib this past Friday and it is even worse than it originally was. She is waking multiple times a night, sometimes 8-10. She usually goes right back when we give her the paci but being up and down all night and constant interrupted sleep is not fun at all. I have no idea what to do to make it better. I'm Ok with riding it out for a little bit but it just doesn't seem like it's going to improve any time soon.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know, it is really terrible. :( I would seriously bring him back into our room if I had a pack-n-play (he grew out of his cosleeper at 3 months).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • Loading the player...
  • jvg6909jvg6909 member

It was amazing for those few weeks because not only was she in her Rock N Play but she was in her own room which was a bonus (for the 1st 4 months she slept in it our room). She really has pretty much outgrown it though and I didn't want to prolong the habit any longer but this is baaaaaaaaaaaaad. Especially since she always slept GREAT swaddled. So frustrating. I'm at loss!

Anyway, sorry to turn this into my own vent. Good luck, it will be better for your than it is for me!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • NNGnomeNNGnome member

I had a similar situation over a month ago when DS started getting himself out of the swaddle on his own (when I put him to bed he would struggle until his hands were out then be totally awake). I used the Soothtime sleep sack, which is a sleep sack with a wrap inside that helps transition from a swaddle:

https://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=12066651

I am sad to say 6 weeks on he still doesn't sleep as well as he did with his swaddle (which was one wake up a night, this is now very rare :( ), but he is waking only 2-3 times a night, he stopped using the soothtime sleep sack recently, moving to a regular sleep sack (he grew out of the soothtime one. otherwise I would still use it).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Diagnosed with Anti little c antibodies. DS1 7.11.11 - Anaemia and Jaundice. 10 days in the NICU, 1 exchange transfusion and 4 blood transfusions. DS2 29.8.13 - Anaemia 7 days in the NICU and 1 exchange transfusion. Both are now happy and healthy. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"