Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

bedroom door open or shut?

DD is having a terrible time at bedtime all of sudden.  She's 26 months and we just converted her crib about 2 weeks ago b/c she was climbing out consistently.  

She's always slept with the door to her room closed...but wondering if we offered to open her door if that would help with her separation anxiety/fears.  

She doesn't get out of bed now, just cries and cries....but I think she doesn't even try b/c she knows she can't open the door.   

Me - 39, DH - 49. BFP #1 6/09, DD- 03/17/10. BFP #2 4/29/11, Blighted Ovum at 8 weeks BFP #3 CP 12/27/11. RLP panel - normal. AMH - 2.1, FSH - 9.1, E2 - 74. IUI #1 + 100mg Clomid - BFN. HSG - CLEAR!! IUI #2+Clomid+Trigger-BFP!! EDD 3/28/13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: bedroom door open or shut?

• Options
    pdxjennpdxjenn member

Have you thought about putting a baby gate up so the door could be open? Are you using a nightlight?

Those are my suggestions! Good luck!

• Options
    imagepdxjenn:

Have you thought about putting a baby gate up so the door could be open? Are you using a nightlight?

Those are my suggestions! Good luck!

Yes I've thought about putting a gate up - I think she could probably climb it but I might try it.  The other thing I worry about is that we have a small house...she's on the 2nd floor and we have a sound machine....but I worry about her hearing us downstairs will keep her from settling down.  

And yes, we've added 2 nightlights...one in the wall and one she can take into bed with her.  We've taken down the black out curtains....she's got a sippy of water in the room if she wants a drink of water...and of course all her books, stuffed animals, puzzles, that she could get up and play with but she doesn't.  

Me - 39, DH - 49. BFP #1 6/09, DD- 03/17/10. BFP #2 4/29/11, Blighted Ovum at 8 weeks BFP #3 CP 12/27/11. RLP panel - normal. AMH - 2.1, FSH - 9.1, E2 - 74. IUI #1 + 100mg Clomid - BFN. HSG - CLEAR!! IUI #2+Clomid+Trigger-BFP!! EDD 3/28/13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    pdxjennpdxjenn member

We went through the "sleep training" when we moved to a toddler bed too. It took a couple nights of sitting in front of his door and walking him back to bed. Now we can close his door, but not latch/shut it and he (mostly) stays put. Knowing he can come out if he needs to, but understanding that he is to stay in bed "It's night night time!"

Good luck!

• Options
    imagepdxjenn:

We went through the "sleep training" when we moved to a toddler bed too. It took a couple nights of sitting in front of his door and walking him back to bed. Now we can close his door, but not latch/shut it and he (mostly) stays put. Knowing he can come out if he needs to, but understanding that he is to stay in bed "It's night night time!"

Good luck!

Had you sleep trained before or was that the first time?  We sleep trained as an infant, and of course have had to re-sleep-train here and there over the last 2 years but this is new.  She is definitely going through some separation anxiety/fear of being alone....we've tried sitting by her bed until she's asleep...but that just goes on and on forever.   

I guess I can try the gate....it couldn't possibly be any worse than it already is.  

:(   Thanks for the advice!

• Options
    pdxjennpdxjenn member

Good luck!

• Options
    pdxjennpdxjenn member
    We didn't have sleep issues until right about 2. After letting him CIO and winning that battle, we decided to was time for a toddler bed.
  • Options

imagepdxjenn:
    We didn't have sleep issues until right about 2. After letting him CIO and winning that battle, we decided to was time for a toddler bed.

CIO sucks.  We're basically doing that now.  But it's gotten worse, not better. 

As a side note - took a peek at your blog and came across your photo shoot of the Dishers.  Leigh is a good friend of mine - we met on the age boards 2 years ago and while we've never actually met, we talk/text daily!  Baron and my DD are 1 day apart.  Love her!  We are planning to meet for a girls weekend someday soon! 

• Options
    Initially when we transitioned my son from crib to bed he didn't get out because he was so used to the crib he didn't realize he could. We would close his door when he was in the crib, but since he's been in a bed, we leave the door open with a baby gate. 
  • Options
    LSU628LSU628 member
    DD is in a toddler bed. We let her keep the door open while she is falling asleep, but then close it once she is asleep. Her bedroom is right off the hall/living room so we don't want the TV/lights to wake her up.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"